Sign in to follow this  
edwards54

loose wire on Instrument cluster

After taking out the Instrument cluster I see that I have a loose wire.  It is in the number 10 or 11 number on the right side (as looking at it) very bottom.  The wire is black but the end has been stripped and is bare.  I am not sure if I knocked it loose when disconnecting the cluster.  Is this black wire a ground?  I was not able to find anything on these wires in the books I have on hand.

Thanks

Bob

If my memory is correct, the only wires on the instrument clusters for 69/70's is the tach.  Everything else is plugged into the circuit card. 

From what you describe, it seems that your instrument cluster has been modified from the Ford stock configuration.

Is there a violet or purple wire also attached to the connector pin?  If so, the black wire is there simply to hold the single strand nichrome (resistor) wire onto the connector for mechanical strength.  The black wire is known as a blind circuit, and it doesn't go anywhere in the wiring loom.  Simply tape it up so that the end lead can't possibly touch anything metallic to prevent an inadvertent short.