Sign in to follow this  
ninedrvr

A/C Evaporator Drain

I'm installing factory a/c in my convertible. I know where the hole is located but I'm not sure how the drain hose passes through the firewall. Is it a tight fit hole through the firewall with no sealant? Is there a grommet that seals against the hose? Any pictures specifically from underneath would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem when I installed mine, the oem hose for a 69 looks similar to a heater hose with no flange or anything on the part that passes through the firewall toe board. I could never find any information on it. I had to repair the spout on the heater box anyway so I repaired with a 1/2 inch copper nipple that was the same size as the hose for the earlier mustangs like 65 and 66 that had a flange that terminates to the toe board. It requires cutting the length because it is to long. If you need pic's I might can get to it I will just have to try. I have already installed the box with the firwall installtion behind it and probably can't see all of it.

Dave

The earlier drain tube has a flange with a groove/slit in it and when installed half of it is on the outside and the other halve is on the inside securing it to the toe board. The repo replacement for 69 and 70 appeared to me as just a straight tube and thats the part I could never figure out how it would seal to the toe board and why I went with the earlier 65 or 66. If you check out the one for 65 or 66 on cjp or other distributor you will see the picture and understand what i am saying.

Dave

Vintage Air instructions say:

LOCATE EVAPORATOR DRAIN ON BOTTOM OF EVAPORATOR CASE. LOCATE OEM HOLE IN FLOOR BOARD AND INSTALL 1 1/4 OD X 11/16 ID GROMMET SEE FIGUE 10. INSTALL DRAIN HOSE TO BOTTOM OF EVAPORATOR UNIT AND ROUTE THROUGH FIREWALL. SEE FIGURE 10.

instructions pdf:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwih6IPeqeTKAhWBKiYKHU05BxMQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vintageair.com%2F08%2FINSTRUCTIONS%2F69-70%2520mustang%2Fw%2520ac%2520554170%2520REV%2520A%25201%252029%252007.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHNO_3KQbVO5DqOb5G5VnLC-d3m3g&sig2=zfFFRoocxyUWIg2X6eAZFw&bvm=bv.113370389,d.eWE