Sign in to follow this  
snafu

Oil Pressure Gauge + Warning Light

Is it possible to install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and keep the stock warning light functional?

I would be mounting the gauge down on the console where its hard to see, so I'm thinking it would be nice to have the light working just in case.

I did this awhile back on a '69 Mach I had. I added the 2 pod gaugle cluster in the console where the ash tray goes. You can add a "T" fitting where your stock oil sender goes and put the stock oil sender on one side and the new sender on the other. It gets tight and you have to have it clocked just right if you have P/S. I added a temp gause also and put the sender in the thermostat housing where vac switch went.

Matt   

I don't think so.

I am assuming your instruments do not have a factory oil pressure gauge, just the low pressure warning.

Many aftermarket gauges have an inbuilt low pressure warning light built in to the dial, so perhaps that would be a solution, despite the mounting position.

The factory sender for your current warning light is not suitable for running an aftermarket gauge, and unlikely to be the same ohm range.  Aftermarket gauges work with their specific sender, which should come with the gauge kit.

Senders are specific for either 'warning' (on/off function)  or for a range of resistance to run a gauge.  Not both.