Sign in to follow this  
lanky

Seat Track Rebuild Help

I am trying to disassemble my factory seat tracks. These were the only tutorials I could find online:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/interior-electrical/mump-0811-how-to-restore-seat-tracks-on-a-vintage-mustang/photo-gallery/#8

http://www.classicgarageblog.com/2011/02/15/1965-1970-mustang-seat-tracks-restoration/

The rollers are preventing me from pulling apart everything because the square bolt heads are hitting the rollers both directions before the seat track pulls apart. Neither of those tutorials say anything about removing the square bolts, but it seems like thats what I have to do. What am I missing? My tracks look the same as ones in photos. There's a little tab holding the bolts to the tracks, but I am not sure if the bolts are removeable.

You do not have to remove the bolts.  I rebuilt my tracks because the aftermarket tracks are slightly different to the point they simply don't work right.  There is a small tab at the end of one of the channels that prevents them from coming apart.  Simply bend it gently with a drift punch and hammer.  Just bend it far enough so the track comes apart.  Then after reassembly bend it back far enough to hold it together.  I guess if you have torches you can heat the tab first to reduce the chance of it breaking.  Mine didn't break but I just thought of applying heat.

Mike

So I started by bending the tabs, like the tutorials say. However this is my situation. The rollers on my tracks don't even reach those tabs. The rollers are getting stopped by the head of the square bolts. This is what looks to be stopping the assembly from falling g apart.

I'm confused because from what you/tutorials say only those bent tabs hold everything together. Scratching my head right now.

Yeah, it's the tabs holding it together.  When a roller is stopped against the head of a stud, can you use a screwdriver or something and slide the roller so the track will move further?  Work with it to get one roller out at a time.