Sign in to follow this  
mark69sportsroof

Clutch Questions

Hey Everyone, 

I am having a situation with my clutch.  I have the 69 Sportsroof with a FE 390 stroked out to a 445 ci.  I have the Quick Time bell housing 6056, T-5 tranny and a McLeod 12" ceramic disc clutch and a McLeod pressure plate.  Everything works as I have drove it about 5 miles.  My problem is the clutch is not releasing.  I believe I will wear out the clutch much faster then normal.  I have the Modern Driveline cable set up.

I have been talking with the engine builder and Modern Drive Line but no luck yet.  I am calling McLeod tomorrow morning to get more factory specs to make sure the cable and clutch are compatible.

Anyone run into this problem or have the same set up?

Thanks Mark

Hey Everyone, 

I am having a situation with my clutch.  I have the 69 Sportsroof with a FE 390 stroked out to a 445 ci.  I have the Quick Time bell housing 6056, T-5 tranny and a McLeod 12" ceramic disc clutch and a McLeod pressure plate.  Everything works as I have drove it about 5 miles.  My problem is the clutch is not releasing.  I believe I will wear out the clutch much faster then normal.  I have the Modern Driveline cable set up.

I have been talking with the engine builder and Modern Drive Line but no luck yet.  I am calling McLeod tomorrow morning to get more factory specs to make sure the cable and clutch are compatible.

Anyone run into this problem or have the same set up?

Thanks Mark

Is it a diaphragm pressure plate?

How much free play does the pedal have?

Does the pedal work but its just not quite disengaging the clutch 100% so it drags just a little when you put it in gear.

Yes, it's a diaphragm clutch quick release.  The pedal doesn't have any play.  The clutch does work but doesn't dis engage.  I talked to McLeod Clutches today and they say the bearing travel is 1/2".  Modern Driveline says what I must have is 3/8" - 7/16" bearing travel max.   McLeod says they can take off some "marcel" ( what ever that is) to meet the 3/8" - 7/16" bearing travel.  So I am sending then the clutch and pressure plate to make the adjustment.

Modern Driveline  says I can leave the clutch as is but would have to switch to the hydraulic setup.  That way out of my budget. 

Thanks Mark