dblizzo

Wiring issues some lights work some dont

Ok i have been restoring my 69 coupe for a few years now. I'm to that point where I'm seeing what electrical things work and what doesn't. I hooked up my brand new battery, my instrument cluster, and lights. I replaced all the bulbs. I open the door and the ceiling light works. Inside the ashtray light works and the shifter light is on after turing on the lights. Instrument cluster does not work( I'm thinking the circuit board is old)? Outside tail lights work and rear marker lights work. Nothing works on the front end.

So where do I start testing for the front lights? How do I find out what works on the instrument cluster? I have a electrical tester, but I've used it very little. So where to test at, and what i should be reading when i do test. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

For the dash, make sure your headlight switch is on and rotated properly.  Then check for voltage on both sides of the smallest fuse in the fuse box.  If so, remove the dash cluster and probe the underdash cluster connector for the blue/red wires with the headlight switch on.

For the front end, make sure your headlight harness is properly engaged against the back of the fuse box; it probably is are you're getting battery power to the inside of the car.  Nevertheless, remove it and check for two pins next to the largest one (these are white/blue and green/white for the turn signals).  The pin next to it is the park lamps (black/green wire).  The final wire is a brown wire on the bottom-most row: these are your running lights.  See if the pins have been pulled out.  If all good, then start removing bulbs and probing for voltage.

Your headlight switch may be bad, as almost all signals up front start from that device.

I made sure I rotated the light switch and nothing happens. What volt is the small fuse? I think i need to clean my fuse box. Its really dirty. My car collected dust in a barn for many years. If I have to test the blue/red wire, what kind of reading on the multitester should I see? My headlight harnees looks like its been in place for 35 years and dirty. How does it come out? I'm a newbie to all this but Ill do my best to figure it out. You gotta learn somehow. Thanks again. Ill get back when I start probing around.

Because the headlight switch controls the voltage to the dash lamps, you'll see anywhere from 10.5 to 0 Volts on the input side of the fuse box.  Check both sides of the fuse clips, because the fuse may be blown.