Sign in to follow this  
SunnDogg

Axle Housing & Bearing Retainer ID

Currently restoring a 69 S-Code and need help understanding what exactly I have for parts. I tore down the rear axle housing this weekend and in the process of going to install new seals, bearings and retainers I noticed that the replacement parts I sourced from one of the major vendors are not correct for my housing. I believe I do have the correct replacement parts, but now am not sure what housing I am working with. Like many things on this car it has been modified heavily over the years and am trying to get this car back to original where possible.

The old bearing collar is stepped down on the axle interface side as is quite a bit larger than the replacement retainer. The replacement and old bearing do appear to be the same size. I've searched high and low on different forms and catalogs and the only thing I can find is that the replacement parts that I have are correct for what housing I should have.

Attached are pictures of the housing and measurements of the old and new bearing collar. Can anyone please confirm that I have the correct 67-70 Mustang style housing and what I should be looking for as a bearing retainer?

Thanks in advance for your input.

post-3847-0-52364300-1432680792.jpg

post-3847-0-74543600-1432680859.jpg

post-3847-0-19220600-1432680899.jpg

post-3847-0-73843400-1432680947.jpg

post-3847-0-92688300-1432681006.jpg

post-3847-0-59927100-1432681047.jpg

Specifically it is the bearing retainer that is different. The old one is stepped down with two separate diameters and the new one is one size as the pictures show. Is the bearing collar a precision fit between the bearing and seal inside the housing or is its only function to hold the bearing on the axle shaft? Not certain if I need to try and locate a retainer like what came with it or if I am okay to use the new one.