Sign in to follow this  
SA69mach

Parts for the front end rebuild

My 69 Mach1 has no particular problems in the front end, but it is just a little vague and soft, compared to my 70 coupe.  So, like all Mustang owners who cant leave things alone, I have pulled the trigger on some upgrade parts.  I am hoping to make it a substantial improvement over the 70.  The 70 is a good example of how a stock car, with stock suspension parts, can be set up as a very solid and reliable performer.

For the 69 - from Opentracker....

Roller LCA

AA%20Drag-Racing-Roller-Lower-Control-Ar

Blueprinted UCA's with the 'cheater' improvements (secret stuff)

AA%20Standard-Upper-Control-Arms-left-no

Roller spring perches - agonized over these for quite a while, so I hope they are worth the money.

AA%20Opentracker-Roller-Spring-Perches.j

Shelby drop coming up, of course.   Thanks again to ChelbyAnn for the free template !

In an effort to improve the driving enjoyment, and to increase steering ratio speed, I have also bought this 'bump steer kit' from Pro-Motorsports/Dr. Gas.  Not so much for the bump steer, but for the shortening of the tie rod pivot point on the steering arm.  This is another variation on the Shelby Quick Steer effect.  But instead of lengthening the pitman arm/idler arm, it is 'shortening' the steering arm.

It will be interesting to see how much effect it has on a car with 16:1 box and Power steering.

http://www.drgas.com/Ford-Bump-Steer-Corrector-Kit_p_19.html

Yes. I talked this build over with John at Opentracker and I will be adding the gusset bracing from shock tower to frame. This helps out the stiffness for the shock tower. I would almost put this on the same level as the Arning drop. Easy, free, and effective.

I am working on another project for now, but will update when I start the build.

I have a good set of 70 spindles as the basis for the upgrade, some new rotors and pads. New 70 tie rods. It should all work together with the UCA's and roller LCA's and roller spring perches, and roller idler arm.

For springs I am using MOOG 420 lb rate used for the 429 BB car with AC and PS. I have used this spring before, and without a Shelby drop it required 1 full coil cut off to get to stock height. I love stock height if the car handles well. Bilstein shocks, and last item will be a 1 inch roll bar - but could go with 1 1/8th. I will have to drive the car with the stock bar and see what the handling is lacking. The springs are mid range, neither low, or high rate, so the roll bar needs to match with, and work with the springs. And the Arning drop will be a new factor in the overall result.