Sign in to follow this  
bryonbush

new starter / starting issue

finishing up with the motor and trans swap today. I put in a new starter off a 95 stang. According to the videos and instructions when doing the starter swap i did everything right. Problem is, when i turn the key to the first spot (i believe the accessories) the car wants to turn over without turning the key into the start position. i tried running the main cable on both sides of the solenoid and either way it didnt mater. We got the motor to start but we had to hold the "trigger" wire onto the solenoid and once the engine started we pulled the trigger wire off. 

i wired this exactly how both these videos instructed and still got the issues i have. HELPalert.gif this is the last thing before i can wire my transmission controller and be done!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZD2sMj9IrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Ej_Gl9Wx8

ok i found the issue. When i went to start the car the other day, i had to figure out a solution for the Neutral safety switch. because im going to be installing a baumann controller, i made a bypass using gator clips to complete the circuit for the NSS. For whatever reason, when i made that loop it made the ignition stuff act the way it was. so i did a rough mock up on the NSS from the wires on the controller and everything worked the way it should. Makes no sense to me why, but it worked