Sign in to follow this  
My Mach 1

FMX trans Shifts too early

Hi guys, my FMX trans shifts too early and in third by the time I'm on the other side of the intersection or just before. I want to try to adjust my modulator to see if it makes any difference. The trans was rebuilt 1yr ago at the same time the engine was and runs a 2800 stall. So do I adjust it CW to increase shift point or CCW? Thanks!

I'm not an expert on the FMX or any transmission for that matter, but on a C4 I rebuilt some time back for my buddy down the street, we had to adjust the modulator due to it shifting from 1 - 2 almost instantly. Turning the screw Clockwise in the modulator will increase the spring pressure and move the shifts points.

Yeah, adjust the modulator.  It's been so long since I've done that, I don't recall the direction.  My Ford service manual talks about adjusting it by measuring the line pressure.  What I can gather is clockwise on the adjustment screw will cause it to shift later and more harsh.  Make certain the modulator is okay before adjusting.  If your motor is not stock it will have a reduced vacuum signal to the modulator which is likely what happened.  I don't know how the torque convertor will affect it.  Make sure the downshift (kickdown) linkage is also adjusted correctly.