Sign in to follow this  
mach1mike

FMX trans shift linkage issues

Greetings all, am having trouble getting the correct parts figured out, am going bone stock with a 351-4V/FMX, I have a stock floor mounted shifter out of a 69 Cougar as I was missing all my original drivetrain. The problem I'm having is the shift linkage hardware. can't seem to find the right stuff, the floor shifter arm has what looks like is about a 1" diameter hole where the shift linkage/lockout rod attaches, the special attach stud has about a 5/16" diameter stud that attaches there with a 3/8" or so plastic bushing, is there about a 1" plastic bushing that is supposed to go there, my assembly manuals/books don't show this part breakdown or do I simply have the wrong shifter/arm are the ones on a mustang smaller? thanks for the help, Happy Turkey day

Greetings all, am having trouble getting the correct parts figured out, am going bone stock with a 351-4V/FMX, I have a stock floor mounted shifter out of a 69 Cougar as I was missing all my original drivetrain. The problem I'm having is the shift linkage hardware. can't seem to find the right stuff, the floor shifter arm has what looks like is about a 1" diameter hole where the shift linkage/lockout rod attaches, the special attach stud has about a 5/16" diameter stud that attaches there with a 3/8" or so plastic bushing, is there about a 1" plastic bushing that is supposed to go there, my assembly manuals/books don't show this part breakdown or do I simply have the wrong shifter/arm are the ones on a mustang smaller? thanks for the help, Happy Turkey day

thanks for the reply Bob, I think after further investigation what I have is a 70 shifter, my blue books and assembly manuals don't show the part I'm looking for because they only illustrate a set-up for a 69 but found it in an NPD catalog in a part diagram for a 70. I'm lacking the shifter arm insulator bushing but think I can make it work correctly after I order the insulator bushing

thanks for the reply Bob, I think after further investigation what I have is a 70 shifter, my blue books and assembly manuals don't show the part I'm looking for because they only illustrate a set-up for a 69 but found it in an NPD catalog in a part diagram for a 70. I'm lacking the shifter arm insulator bushing but think I can make it work correctly after I order the insulator bushing

hello

My shifter has a large hole also, don't know if it is an inch or not but it has a plastic bushing of some sort. I'm not sure how they got it in there at the factory because it has a lip on either side to hold it in it may be more pliable when new. Mine has hair line cracks in it and should I try to remove it I'm sure it would crumble. If you need a pic I can upload one just let me know. Mine is a 69 and as for as I know it is original to the car.

Dave

hello

My shifter has a large hole also, don't know if it is an inch or not but it has a plastic bushing of some sort. I'm not sure how they got it in there at the factory because it has a lip on either side to hold it in it may be more pliable when new. Mine has hair line cracks in it and should I try to remove it I'm sure it would crumble. If you need a pic I can upload one just let me know. Mine is a 69 and as for as I know it is original to the car.

Dave

a picture would be great to know for sure, I 'm reasonably certain there is a bushing missing from my "junkyard find " shifter which is out of a 69or70 cougar, played heck trying to find the special linkage stud attach hardware as well, had to buy a used one as I can't find them in any part catalogs, got it from west coast classic cougars but it didn't come with the larger shifter arm insulator bushing, thankyou for the reply

a picture would be great to know for sure, I 'm reasonably certain there is a bushing missing from my "junkyard find " shifter which is out of a 69or70 cougar, played heck trying to find the special linkage stud attach hardware as well, had to buy a used one as I can't find them in any part catalogs, got it from west coast classic cougars but it didn't come with the larger shifter arm insulator bushing, thankyou for the reply

yep, that looks like what I am lacking, thank you for the pictures, helps a lot, looked at your build, nice looking car, how is the assembly going?

Assembly going very slowly. I am now working on engine and tranny so I can get all the major weight on the car before final assembly and body panel alignment. Back to your bushing I don't remember ever seeing one of these listed at any of the mustang distributors but that don't mean there aren't out there some where. If you can't find one though it should be fairly easy to fabricate one. Hope you have good luck finding it.

Dave

yep, that looks like what I am lacking, thank you for the pictures, helps a lot, looked at your build, nice looking car, how is the assembly going?

Assembly going very slowly. I am now working on engine and tranny so I can get all the major weight on the car before final assembly and body panel alignment. Back to your bushing I don't remember ever seeing one of these listed at any of the mustang distributors but that don't mean there aren't out there some where. If you can't find one though it should be fairly easy to fabricate one. Hope you have good luck finding it.

Dave

called NPD yesterday, they show them in their catalog but they are NOS and discontinued, managed to order one from mustangs unlimited, they had only one luckily, was going to order two just for an extra but had only one, the rest were on back order so they must be able to get them from somewhere but I evidently got the last one, wouldn't think this part would be so hard to come by, but they are, thankyou again for the pictures, they were a great help