Sign in to follow this  
Chelby-Ann

Driveshaft Question

My driveshaft is original my '69 Coupe that came with the straight six (200cu in) with a 3 speed manual transmission.

My resto mod build has a 302 that has been bored .060 over and has a 4 speed top loader manual transmission. I also replaced the rear end gears with 3:55 gears.

It's built to be a daily road driver but not for the track.

Yesterday I did an install mock up to see if the original driveshaft would fit and it did. YEAH!

Now I am in the process of ordering new front and read universal joints. Might as well replace them now while the driveshaft is out of the car.

After the new universal joints are installed I thought it would be a good idea to have the driveshaft re-balanced.

Should the driveshaft be balanced with the universal joint removed or does it matter?

Another thought crossed my mind, do you think or do we know if the original driveshaft will be OK for the 303/4 speed top loader? Would it be able to handle the torque.

Thanks

I had a 289 bored .060, Comp Cam w/510 lift, 280 dur and a 106 CL, a 4 speed top loader w/ the wide ratio and a 11" clutch set up, the rear was a 9" 3:55 posi 28 spline 9".

The only thing that broke was the rear u joint, which is easily replaceable.

So, I believe your drive shaft will handle the muster, It's always a good ideal to have the drive shaft balanced and who ever does it will be best to answer if the u-joint should be on or off.

I had a 289 bored .060, Comp Cam w/510 lift, 280 dur and a 106 CL, a 4 speed top loader w/ the wide ratio and a 11" clutch set up, the rear was a 9" 3:55 posi 28 spline 9".

The only thing that broke was the rear u joint, which is easily replaceable.

So, I believe your drive shaft will handle the muster, It's always a good ideal to have the drive shaft balanced and who ever does it will be best to answer if the u-joint should be on or off.

Thanks for the reply.

I contacted Olivers Driveshaft here in Winston and they recommended that the new universal joints be installed then they could inspect the balance. I dropped off the drive shaft on Tuesday to have them replace the front and rear Universal Joints ($50) and then check the balance. If it needs it, its a $60 charge. When I get it back a second coat of primer goes on and it gets a coat of silver/aluminum color, not sure yet. And as far as the driveshaft working for my new set up, looks like I am good to go.