Sign in to follow this  
1969Fstback

650 Holley Loading up

Took the car for a second drive in 20 months yesterday. Was messing with timing Sunday due to hard starting when hot. About 2-3 miles into the drive the car started loading bad and would not idle. I am gonna check the float levels today. I bought the carb new in Oct 2012. But it seen very little run time until this week. There is a clear inline fuel filter between fuel pump and the carb. It has some dirt in it, but nothing excessive.

Whats the first and obvious things to check?

I have no idea how the composition of fuel differs between the US and the UK, but our gas has so many additives these days that it goes off pretty quickly - like in a few months...

I made the mistake of leaving a bike for a year without emptying the tank or running the carbs dry and I had to strip and clean no end of gunge out of 4 carbs. Not making that mistake again!

I'd suggest you need drain the old fuel to get some fresh fuel in before too long.

TimFF

I have no idea how the composition of fuel differs between the US and the UK, but our gas has so many additives these days that it goes off pretty quickly - like in a few months...

I made the mistake of leaving a bike for a year without emptying the tank or running the carbs dry and I had to strip and clean no end of gunge out of 4 carbs. Not making that mistake again!

I'd suggest you need drain the old fuel to get some fresh fuel in before too long.

TimFF

The fuel is fresh. I just put the tank back in Saturday. Ran it 10 miles or so saturday, done decent, but yesterday it was loading bad. However I did not drain the carb before it sat for 20 months. I figure I got some dirt.