Sign in to follow this  
69isfine

Northern Al Radiators vs brass copper

I have to say I'm pretty skeptical of the value of mutliple bonding straps on a radiator. The purpose in this application is a simple DC bond to prevent a dissimilar metals galvanic action. Using a non conductive coolant (distilled water) and providing an alternate path to ground will minimize if not eliminate the potential current flow and resultant corrosion, no argument there. If we were concerned with one of the straps losing it's bond and they just want to have a back-up then OK, but 8? Just not seeing it.

I have to say I'm pretty skeptical of the value of mutliple bonding straps on a radiator. The purpose in this application is a simple DC bond to prevent a dissimilar metals galvanic action. Using a non conductive coolant (distilled water) and providing an alternate path to ground will minimize if not eliminate the potential current flow and resultant corrosion, no argument there. If we were concerned with one of the straps losing it's bond and they just want to have a back-up then OK, but 8? Just not seeing it.

I think they give you 8 so you have options with length and style. I don';t think anybody seriously plans on having 8 grounding straps coming from their radiator. It would look like Doc Octopus up there.

If you don't mind making mounting brackets, look into the Northern Cross Flow radiators. I personally am running the 28x19 Northern Crossflow/Race Pro (which requires the battery to be relocated to the trunk due to the width) and my car has never overheated. In fact, with my DCControls fan controller and the Taurus efan, the measured voltage from the fan controller was about 40% last time I checked after running it hard in stop-and-go traffic in 102° outside temp.

If you want even better cooling, go with a dual pass crossflow radiator.