Sign in to follow this  
Cougar20th

Trunk floor questions.

So Im getting ready for the next big step on my Mach1. Been atleast 2 years since I cut into it.

I have to do both rear frame rails and the complete trunk floor. My thought is to get a 1 piece floor and tack the rails to that. Remove the old floor & rails. Then lift it all up from the bottom as one assembly. Wheel housings will be out and 1/4's still will need to be done so those arent to much of a concern. Then do all final welding after final alignment. I figure leaving the taillight panel in place will help with alignment when it comes time.

Is that a good way to do it. The rails are so rusted that if I start taking the trunk floor out they are just gonna disintegrate.

Also who makes the best one piece trunk floor? And who is the best dealer to get that from.

I have no experience with any of the pre-assembled pieces like that, but after my experience with the 1 piece torque boxes(not aligned properly) and 69 full quarters(quarter scoop mounting plates misaligned), I will stay away from parts someone welded together in a jig. Adding each piece, one at a time, to my car, allows for some tweaking which may not be possible with the assembled pieces. I'm a very skeptical person naturally, so I'm very suspecting of how well those parts are welded together. I seem to also recall people complaining about the spot weld quality in pieces like this. Your mileage may vary, of course!