Sign in to follow this  
indianfiremach

Will a Cobra T5 stand up behind a 351C?

Hi all, I'm looking at putting a 5 speed in my '70 Mach with the stock 351c 4v. I had considered a TKO/3550 but I understand there are driveline angle issues that make the shaker sit incorrectly. I have found locally a complete changeover from a 1993 Cobra (T5 is still in the cobra) for $700. That seems fair and I can drive it before he pulls it out to go AOD.

Anyway, does this sound like a trans that could work? As I understand, it's the strongest of the factory T5's. The 351c is pretty much stock, and I'll use a stock clutch with 14x7 wheels and BF Goodrich Radial T/A's. The car will be only for street use and never see the dragstrip. I have a stock T5 already from an '89 GT, but have gotten mixed comments on whether it will work or not.

Edited by indianfiremach

I have the same set up, 351C, mild torque cam and performer intake. Cast iron manifolds in 70 Mach I.

I bought a T5z with the 2.95 first w a 3.70 rear and 215/70-14. As long as you don't dump the clutch at 4000 rpm or power shift you will be fine.

The 3.70 rear and 2.95 first is just about perfect, every time you shift it stays right in the torque band. Made the car a blast to drive.

The problem I found is its hard to drive it easy.

Thanks for the replies. If I do any road racing on those T/A's, I will be in a ditch long before the T5 gives out. I'm tempted to run with the T5 I have, but I'd rather not do the transmission swap several times if the T5 from the GT doesn't hold up.

T5s are good transmissions overall

I have had a couple I've put behind strong small blocks and driven a little aggressively.

If you are really hard or abusive to the trans it will give out on you.

If you play hard a few times, you will be fine

Bob