Sign in to follow this  
PaleRider

Fastback Quaters on Vert

Considering buying a rusted up 70 vert. Will need all sheet metal. Ran across a picture of one with fastback quarters and endcaps. And like the look. Just was curious what was done for trunk lid. Anyone have any experience with this?

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/12/28/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1970-ford-mustang-boss-351-convertible/

They did one of those on overhauling. The car needed qtr panels so they put the fastback ones on

For the trunk lid they used the original conv trunk lid and a repo fastback lid and grafted them together.

I have though about adding the Shelby stuff to my 69 conv because I like the look and I don't want to swap qtr panels. But if I had a car then needed the qtrs I would sure think about it

Bob

Do you have the skills to install the qtr panels? Or are you going to have those put on?

If you can handle the install of the qtr panels then I think you can handle the trunk lid.

Remember that at the top of the qtr where you come up to the conv trim you may have to make that filler part as well. You will be cutting off the part that goes up to the roof and that will leave a fair sized hole.

Where are you located?

Bob

Ive done my own quarters on a 66. I watched the overhaulin show last nite. They did not use a full qtr. Tied it up on top - which makes sense. They made grafting the lid look pretty easy. The car I'm getting is a 70 but I like the 69 qtrs with built in scoops. Plus I already have a 70 fastback would like some differences. It will probably be awhile till I get to this point - Ive got a 66 I need to finish.

Grafting on a rear spoiler is no different than what we have been selling for years. I've actually thought about making a nice set of end caps with a spoiler built in.

I was looking at your spoiler at they are nice. I just like the looks of the fastback more a little more subtle. If you need a guinea pig let me know. :smile: