Sign in to follow this  
panteramatt

4r70w swap

I just bought a complete setup with an 01 tranny, optishift, crossmember kit which lets you use your stock shifter, holley tps kit, and a recal pro valve body kit. Im installing it in a 69 with an fmx.

1. Will the 4r yoke bolt onto my stock driveshaft?

2. I know the driveshaft will need to be shortened but are there any known driveshafts that fit?

3. The tranny is an 01 3.8 and I know they have one less direct clutch plate. The car will have 500 hp. Should I add it and how hard is it?

4. The kit for the shifter is from Joe Persad. I dont want to use my stock shifter so will an aftermerket ratchet style work and which one should I look at?

5. What does it typically cost to get an aluminum DS made?

6. Will the stock dipstick tube work for the 4r?

7. Where can I find the correct cooler and what size should I use?

Any other tips and tricks would be helpfull too. Thanx in advance.

I plan on going down this road too. Don't know the answers for all the questions. But here's what I think I know.

I've been led to believe that most '2001 and up 4rs have electronic speedo connections. You would have to change out the tail section to make it work with the '69 speedo.

Not sure if the yoke will bolt directly to the stock drive shaft but since you have to shorten the drive shaft anyway, it would be easy to fix. But I think I've read that the joints can be switch out with joint that have different sizes on each side. That may solve the problem.

I think the 4r dip stick will work.

and I think you need the longer bolts. The ones that came with the 4r will work.

I was told the goal is to get the tranny, converter, yoke, bolts and dip stick as a package.

Which controller are you going to go with?