Sign in to follow this  
clark1969

Underside Photos

Can anyone post photos of the underside of a 1969 Mustang (Coupe, if it matters)? I would like to see photos of the underside with and without suspension components installed. I am looking for the source of a loud "banging" noise in the rear of my car when I hit a large bump. Thanks

Can anyone post photos of the underside of a 1969 Mustang (Coupe, if it matters)? I would like to see photos of the underside with and without suspension components installed. I am looking for the source of a loud "banging" noise in the rear of my car when I hit a large bump. Thanks

How long go did this banging start? How old are you leaf springs and shocks? Is it any bump or do you have to be going a moderate speed to get the bang?

The only thing I could think of banging wise is the rear end hitting the bump stops and this would happen if your rear suspension is pretty worn.

I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in, but I feel like these questions are a good start.

I've had exhaust support brackets break, or come loose, and cause the exhaust to hit whatever is nearby, i.e. rear end, floor pan, etc. Pushing or bouncing on the back may highlight the noises coming from the downward motion of the car, but not likely the upward motion. It's a good start though; that and a close visual inspection will go a long way in eliminating possibilities.

Check for shiny or "clean" spots on surfaces under the car. Check for worn bushings in the suspension components. Support the car with jack stands in a way that takes the load off the suspension and get under there, grab things and start trying to move them by hand.