Sign in to follow this  
ramair351

just for the sake of asking...

From what I have heard, it is a tight fit. The shock towers are the problem. Not sure if you can wedge it in there without some sort of modification to the shock towers IE: shaving them or notching them. In order to do that you would need major front suspension modifications.

Its not as difficult as you might think. Currently installing a 429 in my brothers 69 Mach I

No modifications to the shock towers are necessary. You will need the correct Engine frame mounts for the swap (Mustangs unlimited) and if going with automatic, you will need the big block C6 trans bracket.

you will hear that Crites and MPG are about the only ones with Swap kits. Save yourself frustration and just get the frame mounts from MU (they are like the Crites mounts anyway.)

If your considering headers, I would forget the Crites and MPG (unless you like exhaust leaks) and just contact Stans Headers.

Here's a link that will help you understand some of the do's and dont's. Its based on the 67 - 70 cougar but its the same engine bay as the mustang

http://thecurb.us/Webazine/Pits/460ina69/rev-460in69.htm

I am on my third 69 with a 460. There are major differences with all the ways to do it.

Crites Gen 1 puts the engine up high and somewhat forward. Hood clearance is a problem and nearly always requires a hole in the hood. Using the Tubular headers designed for this swap is a pain. They criss-cross the back tubes around the draglink and are a PITA. This works great in a drag only car, not so great on the street.

Crites Gen 2 supposedly puts the engine lower and headers aren't so bad but I don't have any experience with them.

MPG is what I have currently. Places the engine much lower and quite a bit forward, but greatly increases hood clearance. Torker 2 or RPM Air Gap will fit under the hood with no hole. Headers are still a PITA and clearance is very tight around the steering box and drag link. Forget power steering. I tried the Borgeson set up and it doesn't clear either.

C6 works fine with all the set ups. I have a TKO 600 in mine and the MPG headers clear everything fine with the Quicktime bell and they leave lots of room for clutch linkage.

I only have about 1000 miles on this one but I am pretty happy with the MPG setup. However another member on here had a bear of a time with their headers that I didn't, so obviously every car is different.

My first two I didn't notch the shock towers but on this last one I did. I would recommend it. It makes things much easier.

If I ever do another one, I would probably take the plunge and do a Mustang II front end or the Gateway strut conversion to get rid of even more shocktower.

Once you drive a torque monster big block, it's hard to go back to the little motors. Not to mention that with a simple and relatively cheap stroker kit, you can stuff up to 557 ci with a stock block.

Edited by fordguy69
spelling