Sign in to follow this  
bstarkey

Reinstall intake heat shield?

That heat shield was put there for a reason, as Mike explained, and throwing it away makes no sense. Maybe you could get a better reason other than ' don't use them on rebuilds '. After all it sounds as though you are using your OE Manifold ? Brian

My machine shop didn't toss mine.....I will admit that when I had the entire motor back together and after breaking it in...i realized I had ONE part left over...the heat shield that belongs under the intake manifold.

I will be replacing it soon, probably this weekend, but wonder, does its absence impact performance?

I wonder how well those heat shields actually work.

I mean, it's just an extra layer of tin above the lifter valley and under the carb. I could see it slowing the heating process up, but once the engine is full temp, I cant see them making much difference. Heck, many of them get oil in them and it bakes into a solid carbon pack, which doesn't seem to be the byproduct of running cool to me.

There is a whole host of aftermarket companies whose job it is to make intakes that make you the most horsepower or best drive-ability and not a single one uses a heat shield.