Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

How to you adjust the Interior Door Handle.

I'm having a hard time opening the door from the inside, more so since I installed the deluxe door panels. When I go to squeze the inside handle, theres not enough room to squeeze it further to open the door. I have to reach outside and use the outside handle to open the door. Is there a way to adjust the inside handle so that the door opens with less effort.

I recently went through this on a standard interior. I put on new door panels and armrests and my drivers side wouldn't open from the inside. The new armrest wouldn't let the handle pull far enough. I couldn't find any adjustments. What I did find out was that there was slot in the linkage. When I would pull the handle, I could see that the linkage didn't move at the beginning of the pull. I took the handle off the door, which is easy to do and I noticed that the arm on the handle (the highlighted area in the image below) had a notch worn into it. They are only pot metal so you can't weld material back on but you can JB weld in the gap or buy new ones. This of coarse assumes you have the notch.

Jim

Capture3.jpg

I recently went through this on a standard interior. I put on new door panels and armrests and my drivers side wouldn't open from the inside. The new armrest wouldn't let the handle pull far enough. I couldn't find any adjustments. What I did find out was that there was slot in the linkage. When I would pull the handle, I could see that the linkage didn't move at the beginning of the pull. I took the handle off the door, which is easy to do and I noticed that the arm on the handle (the highlighted area in the image below) had a notch worn into it. They are only pot metal so you can't weld material back on but you can JB weld in the gap or buy new ones. This of coarse assumes you have the notch.

Jim

Capture3.jpg

Mine does the same thing. When I looked at the handle, it looked like the notch is supposed to be there to catch the rod. Is the notch not supposed to be there?

Here is a better image from a handle I found on e-bay. You can start to see the notch starting to develop on this part in the arm that points upward. Mine was more severe than this thus it caused play in the opening of the door. Ford used crappy metal on this part and the softer metal will lose after years of use.

$T2eC16VHJIIFHI0nHz5dBSS21g(YKg~~60_57.JPG

Did you have a problem before the new door panels were installed? Maybe you have to much material gathered in the hand hold pocket of the panel that keeps you from squeezing the handle all the way. Or maybe the door panel isn't drawn up against the door as it should be?

Edited by miketyler

Nice trick on the Vac line!

I took the panel off yesterday even though I didn't wnat to since it took so long to put on. I'm have other issues so I need to open the day at any given time.

I have new dynacorn doors, Scott Drake outside door handles and a new latch. I'm still using the original inside door handles and pull rods.

Yes, I was having a little trouble with opening and closing the doo and thought time would heal itself. The outside door plunger would stick inkeeping the latch open and inside you would have to squeez firmly to open the door.

After installing the Door Panel, the metal cup will not allow more leverage. I had to open the window and reach outside to open the door. There is some play and I think a rubber hose might take up the slack.

The door panel isn't installed on the Pass. side but I'm having the same problem with the outside handle sticking. IIRC, since I'm doing a million things at one time (I'd like to get some drive time before Winter) it will be pretty hard to take apart the outside door handle since the glass is install. In was hoping from use it would wear itself in.