Sign in to follow this  
MustangGT

How do you remove the wires from the headlight harness

Hopefully, this is an easy question...

How do you remove the wires from the headlight harness plug (the big green monster on the firewall side)? I have pulled the plug out of the firewall and peeled back the rubber backing -- don't want to risk any damage doing experiments to get the wires out. So please point me in the right direction and stop me from doing more harm than good.

Typically, there is a plastic sheet at the base of the pins. Using a small jeweler's screwdriver, lift up on side, work it around and remove. Then using the same screwdriver, bend back the tab on the pin and pull the pin out through the back. If you're good, you can push on the pin head.

The NPD tool for removing pins is not all that good, but you are more than welcome to try it.

If you are talking about pulling each individual wire out. There is a small tab on the side of each connector. You have to use something small to go down in there to push it down then the wire will pull out the back. If you look at the connecter rectangle hole in the plug, there will be a small square hole on one side of it. This is where you put the tool in to release it. I used a small allen wrench. I found it best to shove the wire in as far as it would go from the back before I put the allen in to release the tab. I was able to feel it release and the wire pulled out with little effort. Google it and there is youtube videos on how to remove wire terminals from a connector. If you are doing the ones for the fuses, be careful as some of them are connected to another terminal by a metal tab. So you will have to remove more than one at a time in that case. Just a heads up so you dont break one. When I did mine, I took pictures of both sides with my phone as I went so I wouldn't fubar it when putting it back together.

Success!!! Thanks for the insight. I am so used to pulling pins on my Harley connectors that I didn't even think the pins would come out as easy as they did.

On an HD you have to have your toes pointed toward Milwaukee, head pointed towards the setting sun, hands (plams up) and aimed at the rising sun, be thinking nothing but pure happy thoughts, stick your tongue out and lick the wind, use the proper tool and then cuss and swear and hope like hell you can get the little bugger to release.

On the headlight light plug harness -- depress catch and pull pin -- SIMPLE.

Thanks all.