Sign in to follow this  
telebb

Rear end moving!

I am having a problem with the rear axle shifting to the left 1/2 inch to an inch and getting a little tire rub on my left rear tire. When you look at the rear of the car you can see that the left tire is sticking out a little further and the right is tucked in a little further. I don't notice any movement with the leaf springs on the axle and the frame is straight. The shackles look straight as far as I can tell but not sure.

Any suggestions? Thanks

The easiest way to center the rear is to re-drill the holes in the bottom of the spring perches. The factory tolerance for centering the rear seems to be approx +/- 1/2". When these cars were new they had skinny little tires in fairly large wheel wells, so a half inch either way was no problem. When we try to fit big modern tires in there, we find out just how much slop there was on the production line.

This probably also explains why some members claim it's impossible to fit a TKO 600 without raising the tunnel, even though lots of us have managed to do exactly that without any issues.

There are a few things you can check to see what is going on.

The frame rails are a good ' fixed ' reference point and measurements can be taken to centerline differential, end of axle shaft, end of axle or to brake backing plate.

The axle shafts should have a Engineering number. Check to see if they are correct/OE to your car Brake drum size can also affect the wheel/tire location. Brian