Sign in to follow this  
LiLMike

Wiring Circuits Question

I am in the process of rewiring my car with the AAW wiring harness with all the normal circuits including Electronic Ignition, All my gauges including Tach and Electric Speedometer, A/C and stereo with an amp and speakers. One of the circuits are for the dome light. My PO installed a new headliner and omitted the dome light. For now I was going to run the dome light wire up to the A-piller and leave it in there in case I wanted to install a dome light at a later date. This got me to thinking about other circuits that I may want to run down the road. I was going to run the wires for different circuits and just cap them off so it would be easier to install other accessories if/when I decided to upgrade. I come up with this list:

Power Windows

Power Door Locks

Power Trunk Release

Electric Fan

Electric Water Pump

Electric Fuel Pump

Electronic Overdrive for Transmission

I was wondering if I have overlooked anything. Always eager to hear any of your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

Mike

I am in the process of rewiring my car with the AAW wiring harness with all the normal circuits including Electronic Ignition, All my gauges including Tach and Electric Speedometer, A/C and stereo with an amp and speakers. One of the circuits are for the dome light. My PO installed a new headliner and omitted the dome light. For now I was going to run the dome light wire up to the A-piller and leave it in there in case I wanted to install a dome light at a later date. This got me to thinking about other circuits that I may want to run down the road. I was going to run the wires for different circuits and just cap them off so it would be easier to install other accessories if/when I decided to upgrade. I come up with this list:

Power Windows

Power Door Locks

Power Trunk Release

Electric Fan

Electric Water Pump

Electric Fuel Pump

Electronic Overdrive for Transmission

I was wondering if I have overlooked anything. Always eager to hear any of your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

Mike

From your avatar it looks lke you have a fastback (sports roof) and they don't have a dome light, they have opera lights in the sail panels.

You didn't mention it, but if you have a deluxe interior or plan to upgrade someday, you will need wiring for the door lights on the same circuit as the opera lights. Do you plan to mount speakers in the doors? If I had it to do over a gain I would mount them in the kick panel vent like one of the posts here (sorry can't remember who originally posted it).

Although the option didn't come with Mustangs, I really like my door ajar light although they require a specific latch from a Cougar that came with that option. I used the OIL light for an indicator because I have an oil pressure gauge rendering the light non functional.

You also might want to consider adding a parking brake switch and tying the parking brake light circuit into the regular brake warning light. Otherwise it's almost a wasted warning light as most of them will never come on in the lifetime of the car.

From your avatar it looks lke you have a fastback (sports roof) and they don't have a dome light, they have opera lights in the sail panels.

You didn't mention it, but if you have a deluxe interior or plan to upgrade someday, you will need wiring for the door lights on the same circuit as the opera lights. Do you plan to mount speakers in the doors? If I had it to do over a gain I would mount them in the kick panel vent like one of the posts here (sorry can't remember who originally posted it).

Although the option didn't come with Mustangs, I really like my door ajar light although they require a specific latch from a Cougar that came with that option. I used the OIL light for an indicator because I have an oil pressure gauge rendering the light non functional.

You also might want to consider adding a parking brake switch and tying the parking brake light circuit into the regular brake warning light. Otherwise it's almost a wasted warning light as most of them will never come on in the lifetime of the car.

Thanks 69gmachine. Yes, I have a Mach1 with the deluxe interrior. I thought I saw where the Mach1s had a round dome light. I do have the opera lights with the courtsey lights under the dash on both sides.

My speaker mounting is in the dash in the stock location and on the package tray in the back. My PO mounted a couple of cheap speakers there so I'll just get a couple of better speakers for the rear. The front speakers will mount in the stock location. I bought one of those dual speakers(which is actually 2 speakers)but the same size as the old single speaker. It bolts onto the underside of the dash pad.

I like that door ajar idea. I have the New Vintage gauges so I'll have to come up with something for an indicator light. I think I saw a "door ajar" indicator mounted under the dash....Perhaps on some other Ford automobile.

Not sure about that parking brake switch. Haven't seen any kits nor heard of anybody trying to rig one up.

I'm going to pass on the seat belt warning light. Never did care for it.

Thanks 69gmachine. Yes, I have a Mach1 with the deluxe interrior. I thought I saw where the Mach1s had a round dome light. I do have the opera lights with the courtsey lights under the dash on both sides.

My speaker mounting is in the dash in the stock location and on the package tray in the back. My PO mounted a couple of cheap speakers there so I'll just get a couple of better speakers for the rear. The front speakers will mount in the stock location. I bought one of those dual speakers(which is actually 2 speakers)but the same size as the old single speaker. It bolts onto the underside of the dash pad.

I like that door ajar idea. I have the New Vintage gauges so I'll have to come up with something for an indicator light. I think I saw a "door ajar" indicator mounted under the dash....Perhaps on some other Ford automobile.

Not sure about that parking brake switch. Haven't seen any kits nor heard of anybody trying to rig one up.

I'm going to pass on the seat belt warning light. Never did care for it.

If you add all the wires you might need some day, you will have a whole bunch of un-connected wires. On top of that, how do you know what wires you will need in advance? For instance, the power window wires might depend on the manufacturer of the windows. The wires they provide with a kit might already have connectors attached, and if you have your own wires, that means you have to put their connectors on your wires.

Some potential changes are better to do now, though. Things like running an extra wire to the trunk for electric trunk release is a "no-brainer". Absolutely. Under the hood wire changes later are easy to make though.

On the suggestion of under the hood changes, you might want electric choke? For inside, maybe a map light? I have a rear view mirror with map lights built in, I think it came from a junked 1980's Lincoln. Those are real handy, you can find them on ebay.

Also, maybe an electric clock? I have my factory clock that I never look at, and my electric clock as a seperate item.

Maybe a "lights on" warning buzzer to know your lights are on and the ignition is off?

You can see the list keeps growing. Spend some time going through the pages of one of the big classic Mustang parts suppliers, creating a wish list. Then decide if the items on the wish list can have wires added now?

If you add all the wires you might need some day, you will have a whole bunch of un-connected wires. On top of that, how do you know what wires you will need in advance? For instance, the power window wires might depend on the manufacturer of the windows. The wires they provide with a kit might already have connectors attached, and if you have your own wires, that means you have to put their connectors on your wires.

Some potential changes are better to do now, though. Things like running an extra wire to the trunk for electric trunk release is a "no-brainer". Absolutely. Under the hood wire changes later are easy to make though.

On the suggestion of under the hood changes, you might want electric choke? For inside, maybe a map light? I have a rear view mirror with map lights built in, I think it came from a junked 1980's Lincoln. Those are real handy, you can find them on ebay.

Also, maybe an electric clock? I have my factory clock that I never look at, and my electric clock as a seperate item.

Maybe a "lights on" warning buzzer to know your lights are on and the ignition is off?

You can see the list keeps growing. Spend some time going through the pages of one of the big classic Mustang parts suppliers, creating a wish list. Then decide if the items on the wish list can have wires added now?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The AAW harness has all those extra wires or at least most of them. I was just going to run what is on my harness and cap the wires off. It seems like I might as well run everything that AAW provided and sort things out as I decide to install any other accessories.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The AAW harness has all those extra wires or at least most of them. I was just going to run what is on my harness and cap the wires off. It seems like I might as well run everything that AAW provided and sort things out as I decide to install any other accessories.

Mike, it is ironic you mentioned the low fuel indicator. I also have that on my list to design a circuit for my car. I think it can be done with a little circuit on the back of the fuel gauge. I was also thinking of making an over temperature warning light and low oil pressure warning. You inspired me to get it done, maybe I will work on it next week.

Mike, it is ironic you mentioned the low fuel indicator. I also have that on my list to design a circuit for my car. I think it can be done with a little circuit on the back of the fuel gauge. I was also thinking of making an over temperature warning light and low oil pressure warning. You inspired me to get it done, maybe I will work on it next week.

West Coast Classic Cougars already has a sending unit that adds a smart switch to the regular production fuel sender so you can set the low fuel level wherever you want to close the curcuit for the warning light completely bypassing the factory thermistor (that burns out).

Since '69-70 Mustangs never had this option, it will be necessary to add the light to one of the gauges. I thought about adding an LED to the face of the fuel gauge but haven't been able to bring myself to risk damaging the face of the gauge. If somebody else makes it work and comes up with a factory looking solution I'd love to see it.

West Coast Classic Cougars already has a sending unit that adds a smart switch to the regular production fuel sender so you can set the low fuel level wherever you want to close the curcuit for the warning light completely bypassing the factory thermistor (that burns out).

Since '69-70 Mustangs never had this option, it will be necessary to add the light to one of the gauges. I thought about adding an LED to the face of the fuel gauge but haven't been able to bring myself to risk damaging the face of the gauge. If somebody else makes it work and comes up with a factory looking solution I'd love to see it.

I looked at the West Coast Cougar site, and all I could find was the low fuel thermister. Did you see something else? Cougars used this, it might require an additional circuit. A thermistor alone cannot be used to turn on a low fuel light, it must have supporting circuits somewhere.

What I was thinking about was a circuit card that would attach to the screws on the back of the fuel gauge. No extra wires to the trunk needed. The same circuit that is used to determine if the fuel is low can also be used to sense if the oil pressure is too low, and if the temperature is too high. No existing wires to cut, it would be a real simple addition to the back of the gauges. The output would then maybe flash the brake light to indicate there is a problem.

I looked at the West Coast Cougar site, and all I could find was the low fuel thermister. Did you see something else? Cougars used this, it might require an additional circuit. A thermistor alone cannot be used to turn on a low fuel light, it must have supporting circuits somewhere.

What I was thinking about was a circuit card that would attach to the screws on the back of the fuel gauge. No extra wires to the trunk needed. The same circuit that is used to determine if the fuel is low can also be used to sense if the oil pressure is too low, and if the temperature is too high. No existing wires to cut, it would be a real simple addition to the back of the gauges. The output would then maybe flash the brake light to indicate there is a problem.

Well I must say I don't like their new website. I was unable to find the electronic low fuel sender that they once offered. It worked entirely off of the voltage output of the regular production fuel sender and did not utilize any part of the original design except for the light in the dash. They only made a limited production run and must have finally run out.

I don't like the original design that used a thermistor, and like you mentioned, it requires an additional circuit that isn't in the Mustang headlight or under dash harnesses, so it would be difficult to add.

Well I must say I don't like their new website. I was unable to find the electronic low fuel sender that they once offered. It worked entirely off of the voltage output of the regular production fuel sender and did not utilize any part of the original design except for the light in the dash. They only made a limited production run and must have finally run out.

I don't like the original design that used a thermistor, and like you mentioned, it requires an additional circuit that isn't in the Mustang headlight or under dash harnesses, so it would be difficult to add.