Sign in to follow this  
69droptopgt

Painting acapulco blue 69 vert myself.

Finally pulling car apart and so far have lucked out. Torque boxes and frame rails are in great shape. Cowl is in great shape. Looks like only need to replace floor pans and passenger fender. Addtionally, battery ate out out underneath the holder

Few questions:

1) has anyone sprayed thier own car and have the sprayed the acapulco blue(original color)? I gonna diy and wondered how hard it is b/c color metalic. I know it is fine flake.

2) What would you spray onto body to protect from oxidation after sanding down. Epoxy primer or what?

3) What was your order of spraying. I assume engine compartment, underside then body.

4) If sprayed with fenders on, did you keep the hedlight buckets off?

5) Anyone try to lead their car with lead mix or lead free solder?

6) Any tip you can give me beside take it to a pro lol. Painted a MG years ago with my bro it turned out pretty good. Not the easiet car to spray but it is small lol.

7) Anything special I need to know aobut spraying a 69 vert?

Thanks, Paulo

1) I spray all my cars along with a bunch of others out there. the acapulco blue shouldn't be any more problematic than any other metallic.

2) yes, epoxy is what you will want to use on bare metal.

3) correct, do the outer body last.

4) it makes for a cleaner job with headlight extensions, qtr end caps etc off, just depends on what you are looking to accomplish with the job. show quality or decent looking driver?

5) lead was the ticket back in the day, but there are better quality, longer lasting, easier to use products now. buy quality fillers & products & you will be o.k. stay away from the cheap, pink "bondo" brand stuff you see at autozone etc. its cheap in price for a reason.

6) spray a few test panels first. use a QUALITY paint gun, not a $9 harbor freight special. good guns are out there without spending $600 for a new SATA. devilbiss "finish line" guns are great for the price for occasional use. spray that color wet, with a wide fan & let the flake settle & flash well between coats. take your time & let it set overnight & clearcoat the following day. less chance of the clear reactivating the base & moving the flake in spots. i'm sure you have seen silver cars with "tiger stripes"? they were cleared too soon.

7) the only thing special about spraying a vert is don't worry about the roof!:lol: