Sign in to follow this  
ovomedia

A/c

I am restomoding my 1969 coupe. The vehicle didn't come with factory A/C, and since I live in Florida... I am in desperate need for an A/C. When I did the body work, I removed the old heater box that was attached to the firewall. Is there a small inside the dash unit that can be installed? I've seen the vintage and classic air units, but they are more factory and bulky. I don't like the under the dash unit either. Can anyone advise any other simple alternatives?

I have heard the best aftermarket A/C system for the 69/70 is Vintage Air. But, other than them, Classic Auto Air and Old Air Products, I don't know of any other solutions.

One possible solution is to buy an A/C dash and get the VA system. Check with classic Mustang boneyards and swap meets.

Chuck

I have an A/C car. The PO removed all the A/C equipment from the engine compartment. I went with the Classic Auto Air system. Just installing it now. The box under the dash fits perfectly. What I looked for was how well it looked and connected to the ducts. For me it was easy. I have all the stock vents so the Classic system connects right up to them. Now Classic has a system for non A/C cars. You would have to cut a hole in the dash for their vents, as with any system you buy, or you could do as MustangChuck said and get an A/C dash. Remember you would have to get the lower dash with the side vents or use the Classic's vent mods on your car. You would also need the center A/C vent and mounting ductwork or use Classics vent system. Classic has their installation instructions posted on their website if you want to research it.

I just finished up putting vintage air in my non a/c 69. There was a good bit of work involved with mounting the compressor and the behind the dash unit but I defiantly think it was worth it. Since you already have your heater box out your already one step closer. I guess you could say the system is bulky but it defiantly weighs less and takes up less space under the hood than Factory air that I have seen in cars. Vintage air is defiantly not just a bolt on kit but it is made to fit almost and engine application since you have to drill your own holes to mount the compressor to head. I would recommend it because it is a well made system. I looked at the different options and didn't go with a under the dash unit because I've got a console so it wouldn't fit. I also didn't like the way the big box looked.