Sign in to follow this  
puzzledeagle

What is needed for a 69 automatic-to-manual swap?

I have a 69 mustang that currently has a inline 6 engine with automatic transmission. However I found another inline 6 engine frm a 67 mustang in better shape than mine with the original 3 speed manual transmission. Would it be a simple swap and the motor and transmission mounts would match perfectly? Is a clutch pedal and a tachometer gauge the only thing I need now?

You will need the clutch linkage (Z-bar) stuff. You may have to drill an extra hole in the firewall for the linkage to pass through. You would also need another brake pedal as the automatic brake pedal is pretty wide. (You /might/ be able to get away with the auto pedal, not 100% sure). You don't NEED a tach with a manual transmission. And even if you want one, you can always mount a small one to the steering column. Looks a little tacky (pun intended), but works and sits nicely between the two large gauge sections.

I know there's more. That's just what I can think of now. Search. The truth is out there.

Chuck

You can actually just cut a bit off your existing break peddle and then buy a new rubber cover and trim ring. Other than the clutch cable and Z-bar I think you would be good. I'm also assuming that you have the shifter, boot and trim ring from the other car.

Thanks for the info, the seller for the manual transmission also has the linkage and shifter, and I will check it out tomorrow.

I have a question about the clutch pedal though - could I somehow modify the clutch pedal of a later gen Mustang and use it on the 69? The local Picknpull junkyards have a lot of 80s and 90s Mustangs and I can get a clutch pedal there for only $25, could they work with a bit of modification?

Double check the trans crossmember too. I know C4 and toploaders use the same crossmember with sm blocks but for some reason I remember a six cylinder I had having a bit different looking crossmember. Didnt see it mentioned, maybe someone else knows one way or the other.

You may want to consider a hydraulic clutch instead of the manual linkage as the Z bar bushings are prone to wear. You can buy an already sorted out kit like Modern Driveline offers or put the pieces together yourself and save a few $$.

I used a Ram hyd throwout bearing with a 3/4" bore master and I'm currently in the process of making my own version of the MD lever arm to reduce the pedal effort a little more.

The diaphram style clutches require less pedal effort and when used with a dual friction disc can hold a lot of torque without slipping.

Just a few things to think about.

Thanks for the info, the seller for the manual transmission also has the linkage and shifter, and I will check it out tomorrow.

I have a question about the clutch pedal though - could I somehow modify the clutch pedal of a later gen Mustang and use it on the 69? The local Picknpull junkyards have a lot of 80s and 90s Mustangs and I can get a clutch pedal there for only $25, could they work with a bit of modification?

Not 100% sure, but off hand I would say, No. It would be a LOT more work to adapt than simply finding a set of 69 manual pedals.

Chuck