Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Map light switch.

I need some help with a pic of the standard interior map light assembley. I found the standard map light assembley from the old dash panel, but it has a wire that is broken off at the switch. The switch has 3 connections but only 2 wires & I do not know which connection the wire goes to. I looked in the Osborn manual & in the wie diagram it shows 2 wires (green w/yellow stripe & black) but in the drawing it shows 3 wires off the switch. Can anyone help me with a pic please?. I want to try to adapt it to the clock panel.

TIA, Mike.

I should be able to find a pic tonight but it's just two wires. The one from the lamp goes to the slider (center) post, and the other one (ground) goes to one of the outboard posts, preferably the forward-most, so the light goes ON when the switch is moved toward you, and OFF the other way.

The way it works is the lamp always has 12V on one side of it, on the other side the slide switch and glovebox button switch are wired in parallel such that either one (or both) can switch in the ground side, completing the circuit and illuminating the bulb.

I know the standard light can be made to work in the woodgrain dash with a little jury-rigging, I've done it in the past.