Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Cutting Lokar cable - best method?

I'm setting up the carb end of my Lokar AOD cable and am not having any luck cutting the sheath. I have used tape and cut thru the tape with thin cut off disc and still somehow get a bell shaped end that is too large to slide into the ferrule. I have cut braided stainless before but maybe not one with Teflon lining. Some guys talk about using sharp side cutters on these and have got a clean cut. Have you guys got any advice on this?

If you have a piece to try it on, wrap it in tape, put it on a hard flat surface like a vise, using a sharp chisel or hatchet, put it on the mark and give it a good wack with a mallet. I've done it that way numerous times on SS braided gas and air lines, you get a good clean cut. But NEVER tried it with a cable inside. Safety first where your safety glasses.....Good luck

Yes, that's damn good advice on running the ferrule up on the sheath before you cut it. I think I lost about 3/4" of length in the process. Attempting to push the end of the sheath into the ferrule causes the end of the braided jacket to flair out. Finally I took a pair of side cutters and was able to cut it clean and get it in the ferrule. I certainly will know how to better approach the throttle cable install when it arrives.

Yes, that's damn good advice on running the ferrule up on the sheath before you cut it. I think I lost about 3/4" of length in the process. Attempting to push the end of the sheath into the ferrule causes the end of the braided jacket to flair out. Finally I took a pair of side cutters and was able to cut it clean and get it in the ferrule. I certainly will know how to better approach the throttle cable install when it arrives.

I occasionally read directions, not too often!

Good call on the clamp, that might have worked but I am not pulling it out to find out. I thought I read thru the instructions but must've missed the detail about sliding the ferrule on first, and then trimming sheath. A couple of hours ago I thought I would be ordering another cable or at least a sheath.

I got my throttle cable in today and what do you think the first thing I did was? Yup, slid the ferrule all the way down the sheath LOL. Next issue, for you guys that installed the throttle cable, how did you adapt the pedal to the Lokar cable? Probably lots of ways to do it, curious what all you came up with.

Edited by miketyler

Isn't there a small plastic insert (from your original cable) that goes in the hole where the slot is on the gas pedal? Can the stainless clevis in the center picture be removed from the cable leaving just a ball that is swedged onto the end of it. If this is all correct so far, I think the ball will fit into the placsic insert.

Yes but I think I would have to cut the original cable as there is no split in that plastic bushing. I think I would like a metal one better or one with a split for the cable and a groove for snap ring to hold it in the pedal arm.

I simply seperated the clevis from the end of the cable and reinstalled it through the hole on the pedal. I'm sure there's a better way but I don't see how rigging it this way will be a problem. There is constant pressure where they meet.