Sign in to follow this  
Jimjific

Carb Cleaner Advice

I'm not sure how many versions of Chem Dip there are, but I have two different experiences with two containers bought within six months of each other. First can was the small can with basket. Worked great, but too small to fit the throttle plate or main body of the carb in. Cleans most things up in a day. Doesn't stink too bad, and can rinse the parts in hot water in the kitchen sink and the wife will never know as long as the parts are gone when she gets home.

I then bought a large 5 gallon can. You can fit the main body and throttle plate (be careful with throttle plates as some aren't supposed to get dunked in solvents), the stuff isn't near as powerful. I've soaked parts for a month, and there was still junk on the carb. The weaker stuff also stinks to high heaven even though it's weaker. First time I did like before and rinsed in hot water in the house, and even after leaving the windows open for a weekend, the house still stunk.

While this stuff appears the same by looking at the labels, it clearly isn't after using both cans once.