Sign in to follow this  
55Mach1

How to convert to 1 wire alternator on a 70?

I am piecing together all new accessories for my new 427 mill and planned on doing nice billet pulley and a chrome or polished alternator. All of the nice alternators are 1 wire. NPD sells a conversion but it mentioned it can only handle 60 AMP units, the Alternators i am looking at are 90 and over 100 AMP units

Can any of you guys explain what is involved doing this? If I convert does my Voltage regulator that is mounted on my passenger fender apron get deleted?

I am piecing together all new accessories for my new 427 mill and planned on doing nice billet pulley and a chrome or polished alternator. All of the nice alternators are 1 wire. NPD sells a conversion but it mentioned it can only handle 60 AMP units, the Alternators i am looking at are 90 and over 100 AMP units

Can any of you guys explain what is involved doing this? If I convert does my Voltage regulator that is mounted on my passenger fender apron get deleted?

For a 1-wire alternator, the wire goes straight to the battery.

Yes, the voltage regulator on the fender is no longer needed and can be removed.

Some 1-wire alternators are just regular alternators with he coil exciter wire removed. What this means is that the alternator needs to self energize and typically won't start working until you rev the engine past 2000rpm. So make sure you do some research into this.

For a 1-wire alternator, the wire goes straight to the battery.

Yes, the voltage regulator on the fender is no longer needed and can be removed.

Some 1-wire alternators are just regular alternators with he coil exciter wire removed. What this means is that the alternator needs to self energize and typically won't start working until you rev the engine past 2000rpm. So make sure you do some research into this.

Thanks for the info did you do such a conversion? So many alternators on the market i do not kmow where to start looking