Sign in to follow this  
SteveZero

No power w/ new wiring harness

Hey all,

I'm finally getting back to my project car. A while ago I was having engine shaking problems which was solved (finally) with a new harmonic balancer.

Anyway, I got the car running and the battery died on me a few weeks later (a problem the car has always had) so I decided to get a new alternator along with a new alternator harness.

New alternator came, I installed it, and found that the P.O. had spliced the hell out of the old wiring harness, and there was no place to plug in the new alternator harness. So, I got a new firewall to headlamp harness.

I installed the harness as instructed with no problem. All of the connectors that split from it plugged in seamlessly with the various components in the engine bay (headlamps, washer-pump, etc) all the way to the alternator plug.

So, I turn the key and nothing happens. No clicks, nothing. The headlamps won't power on, nadda.

I triple checked the connector at the firewall and all is good there.

I jumped the solenoid and the engine tried to kick over, but no go.

I'm at a loss as to what to check next. I think the interior isn't getting any power, but I have no idea why.

Any takers?

--Steven

I know when I did my under hood harness I had to figure out which spot on the connector each wire went. The connector did not come pre-assembled. So is it possible a wire at that connector is at the wrong spot? Reversed maybe? B

Someone please jump in here if i am wrong but I think power comes into the vehicle from the large diameter wire coming from the alternator. From there it travels to the amp gauge and then to the fuse bus. (i think)Maybe check to be sure you are getting power at that large lead wire, power across the amp gauge, and finally power to the fuse box?

Have you confirmed the PO didn't change anything on the underdash harness? I ended up having Randy (midlife) refurb my underdash and underhood harnesses due to what the PO had done to the cars wiring. Have you confirmed the solenoid is wired up correctly? If the rest of the car is not getting power, then my guess is the solenoid is wired up incorrectly.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Stevewr54: Thanks to some fine folks here I have a wiring diagram from this old post. Oops, looks like the file isn't available anymore. I have a print out, at any rate.

LindonBruce: I did have to assemble the connector (using the diagram that came with the harness). I triple checked that I had it wired correctly, and even checked it against the wiring that was there before. Nothing is throwing me any red flags there.

68stang289: Looking under the dash, I can't really tell if the PO modified anything. Most of the wires look to be factory (very old/wrapped in black tape, etc) with the exception of wiring around the heater (which is inoperable, cut hoses) and the radio (which is missing). I supposed the solenoid could be wired wrong...I thought i wired everything back up the same, but I could be mistaking. I'll have to check that.

miketyler: If I can follow something, like the large gauge wire you were talking about, then that should help narrow things down. Should I start there? Is there an easier, or more efficient, way of checking the wiring? I'm a complete novice to this kind of thing, but I have a voltmeter and I'm ready to try anything. Any pointers?

Thanks,

--Steven

Probably get one of those cheap test lights with alligator clip and needle tip with light and start probing around. I would probe that line where it comes in to the car or just check power at the fuse box and work backwards towards the source. This was all working before you replaced the headlight harness right?

Anyway, I got the car running and the battery died on me a few weeks later (a problem the car has always had) so I decided to get a new alternator along with a new alternator harness.

did you recharge the battery? remember the KISS rule. (keep it simple stupid) no offense ment not my saying just one i live by. check the simple things first then go from there. battery, regulator, inline fuses ECT.