Sign in to follow this  
coloradostang

Wiring questions

69' ragtop 351W C-4 no A/C no tach. Power top. There is a fairly large black wire (10 guage?) that comes out of the upper portion of the firewall directly behind the carb, where does it go? Car has been sitting a long time, trying to remember where everything goes. Masking tape labels fade with age.:sad: Thanks.

Edited by coloradostang
fixed one problem

Someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but if memory serves correct there are two different holes in that area. The one directly behind the carb on the firewall is for the convertible top switch (single wire) and the one just off to the right (several wires located towards the steering wheel) is the insturment cluster.

I was thinking that might be for the top. problem is the black wire is cut about 2' long. does it connect into the main wiring harnes or some where else? I seem to be short one wire. There is a large black with yellow stripe wire comming out of the harness, but I believe that runs to the starting motor relay unless the top wire also ties into this one. had a wiring fire so it's a bit of a mess and I cant find the firewall wire(conv. top ?) on any wiring diagram.

I just happen to have the dash pad off to install stereo components which are in the mail. I know the top control lever has a few inputs to it. One comes straight from the voltage regulator, the other two are routed through the multi-wire harness, I believe. I've got to hit the hay, but I'll try and get some photos and a more detailed description up for you tomorrow evening!

The big black wire should be your + feed for the top. It runs along the export brace ( by its self ) to the starter relay. Was yours cut off, or disconnected ? Reason being my wiring diagram shows a disconnect about 2 ft from the firewall, but my 70 has a solid wire with a small regulator type thing on the end. I would post some pics but I'm really really BAD with computers,... sorry...

The first photo is inside the car. You can see the convertible top switch to the right with three wires coming out of it - black, red, and yellow. The black wire is the one that goes through midway top of the firewall and attaches to a plug you'll see in the second and third photos. The connected to section of the plug goes directly into the voltage regulator harness plug. Hope this helps!