Sign in to follow this  
RPM

Best Gasket Sealant?

Hey guys, I used Permatex red high tack gasket sealant between the pumpkin and housing. I've never had a problem with gaskets before, but I got a leak I can't live with The leak is on the bottom center at the gasket, not from the studs. The surfaces were clean and smooth, with good coverage of sealant. What brand did you use, and are there any tricks I should use. Thanks.

Bob

Edited by RPM

Well, if there were ANY contaminants on either surface then it could leak. The stuff you used is usually pretty good. I prefer to use silicon sealer at this location due to the irregular surface of the rear end housing, not the pumpkin. The problem now is you have to pull the axles to get the center section out to clean it all up and try again. That's the bummer part. B

Yep, bummer it is. I did wipe down surface with acetone first. Oh well, at least I'm working on a Mach I and not a chebby.

Edited by RPM

So I was a bit leery about using some off brand named The Right Stuff. Was a bit surprised when I went to buy it and saw it was made by Permatex. Do you guys use it without a gasket like the instructions read?

Bob

Edited by RPM

So I was a bit leery about using some off brand named The Right Stuff. Was a bit surprised when I went to buy it and saw it was made by Permatex. Do you guys use it without a gasket like the instructions read?

Bob

Lol...definetly not off brand. I don't use a gasket.

A little late to the conversation, but Permatex make a great sealant for gear oils that works very well if you can't find "the right stuff" (great by the way). Comes in a silver tube and can be found at most parts stores. I found it at Advance Auto.