Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Newbie in need of lots of info.

I'm starting my latest project, a 69 sportsroof GT(9F02Hxxx) which now has a 390 4bbl w a C6. The Marti report states that the car was pastel gray w a 3spd. The GT stuff is mostly there, fuel door, hub caps, trim rings, & styled wheels.

I would like to find a pic of this color w the GT stripes. Were they black to match the hood? Also, the GT package states that the sway bar(s) & shocks were different. How would I find out the specifics as to what was different?

Engine wise I'd like to use the 390 & go back to a manual. I do have a wide ratio toploader behind a cleveland, but the ID tag is missing, so I don't know if it will hold up behind a FE. Lastly, the PO has the wrong headers on this engine. They're 12 bolt & the heads are 8 bolt. Does any company make anything to fit the 8 bolt heads?

Thanks, Bob

I'm starting my latest project, a 69 sportsroof GT(9F02Hxxx) which now has a 390 4bbl w a C6. The Marti report states that the car was pastel gray w a 3spd. The GT stuff is mostly there, fuel door, hub caps, trim rings, & styled wheels.

I would like to find a pic of this color w the GT stripes. Were they black to match the hood? Also, the GT package states that the sway bar(s) & shocks were different. How would I find out the specifics as to what was different?

Engine wise I'd like to use the 390 & go back to a manual. I do have a wide ratio toploader behind a cleveland, but the ID tag is missing, so I don't know if it will hold up behind a FE. Lastly, the PO has the wrong headers on this engine. They're 12 bolt & the heads are 8 bolt. Does any company make anything to fit the 8 bolt heads?

Thanks, Bob

First off, the 'H' in the 5th spot in the VIN indicates that the car was originally a 351 2v car. Did you get a Marti report on this car? Any idea what year the 390 is out of? The date code should be on the block below where the oil filter connects. I love the idea of keeping the 390 in there though. Makes for a very cool car with some unique touches.

The GT package had a thicker front sway bar (I believe the rear remained the same size). It also came with larger front and rear shocks. I don't recall the specific on sizes off hand though. The GT stripes I believe were on the rockers and the package eliminated the mustang script on the fenders.

As far as mating up the Toploader, the issue will be what size input shaft the trans you have has versus what size clutch and pressure plate you are running. I believe the 390's all used the smaller 1 1/16" input shaft, while the 428's were running the big 1 3/8" input shaft. Just make sure you know which input shaft you are dealing with before you purchase the clutch and pressure plate because the big input uses a bigger clutch and PP and vice versa.

Hooker, Hedman and JBA should all sell 390 8 bolt head headers. I will say this though...be prepared for some severe sticker shock. FE cars are by no means "cheap and easy" to work on. Go ahead...ask me how I know :laugh:

Edited by 68stang289

I would say you are safe with the toploaders. Some are better than others but they are known to be strong. Cannot help you on the color of the stripe. Pastel grey I have seen on mach had a colored stripe. Did the marti report state it had a blacked out hood?

Your color code should be D5 if hood is blacked out. Marti does not list the colors in thier reports (at least the ones I got). I figured you already checked to see if toploader matched up and the question was of durabilty. I assumed you knew that the engine was not the correct engine. Does not seem to be as important for mustangs to be matching number engine as it is for GTO and Firebird. Are you certain that there is a 390 in there. No way to really tell with FE block without measuring stroke. could be some other dog fe block. Personally, I think I would put a 351 back in. FE blocks are heavy.

Correct on VIN#s. Marti confirms a 351 2bbl w a 3 spd. It also still has the 351 badging on the hood scoop. As far as the 390, it's a 68 w 8C19 on block& C8AE-H heads, cast intake, & 750 holly. The car sat many years, but I was able to get her running although the engine is very tired. It actually doesn't sound bad, but I checked a main & con rod bearing & both have .004+ over max w copper exposed & 10 psi oil at hot idle.

The Marti report didn't list specifics like the blacked out hood(which it has). I only ordered the basic report. Will the deluxe report address the paint/striping schemes? Bob

As far as the 390, it's a 68 w 8C19 on block& C8AE-H heads, cast intake, & 750 holly. The car sat many years, but I was able to get her running although the engine is very tired. It actually doesn't sound bad, but I checked a main & con rod bearing & both have .004+ over max w copper exposed & 10 psi oil at hot idle.

C8AE-H heads should be 14 bolt exhaust heads. Are you sure you only have 8 bolt heads?

Then someone blacked the hood out. I not even sure with a GT you order it. I think you could but am not certain. On my mach 1 I have black car with blacked out hood per marti lol. I dont know how much the flay black will stick out when I finish this car. If the engine needs work, I would just buy another engine. 390 are nice with torq but not that much stronger than a 351 which you can find a dime a dozen. Rebuilding the engine probably will cost quite a bit more than a 351. Delux will not tell you color of strips. WIll tell if the hood blacked out. But I think the basic report does that also. Your paint code would be 65. The 5 would indicate the blacked out hood. Earlier I put a D5 (acapulco blue) b/c my GT is acapulco blue lol. If not blacked out the code would just be a 6 (pastel grey)

68stang289: unfortunately they are 8 bolt. Info sites state that the 8 bolt is used on full sized cars & the 14 bolt (GT head) was used stangs & smaller bodied fords to accomadate exhaust manifolds made for the tight quarters. Perhaps headers aren't even available for this combo.

69droptogt: the door tag is missing, so all that I have to go by is the VIN info from the Marti report. I really wish I had the tag, but the door has been replaced. That's the reason for all the questions. Thanks for the feedback, Bob

Serial Number 9F02H146826

Built at Dearborn

Mustang Sportsroof

351-2V Engine

F

H

DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION

46826th Ford vehicle scheduled for production at Dearborn

63A Mustang Sportsroof

D Pastel Gray Paint, Ford #3303-A

2D Dark Red Kiwi Vinyl Standard Bucket Seats

08A Scheduled For Build: January 8, 1969

35 Lansing Ordering District

6 3.00 Conventional Rear Axle

1 Three-Speed Manual Transmission

DEALER#: 45A412

Your vehicle was ordered with the following features:

GT Equipment Group

Three-Speed Manual Transmission

F70X14 Wide Oval Belted Tires

White Sidewall Tires

Power Steering

AM Radio

I thought this might be helpful, Bob

It is tempting to take it back to that. That's why I'm looking for pics. I must admit though, what a poor combo of accys with the GT package. It would be fun to find if this was a customer order or just a throw together for a dealer lot.

68stang289: unfortunately they are 8 bolt. Info sites state that the 8 bolt is used on full sized cars & the 14 bolt (GT head) was used stangs & smaller bodied fords to accomadate exhaust manifolds made for the tight quarters. Perhaps headers aren't even available for this combo.

Didn't realize they used two different exhaust arrangements, but that makes sense. I bet the 8 bolts were for truck applications as well. I'm sure there is someone out there making headers for the 8 bolt, tighter fit applications.

Pastel gray with a red interior sounds awesome. I bet the GT stripe package in red with that combo would look killer. I have to say, I do love the total uniqueness that your car has going for it. Don't see too many pastel gray cars running around, yet alone with a 390 and a red interior.

I've looked through all my stang books w/o success finding a sample picture.. I did find a white one w red stripes & I did like the look. I still don't remember ever seeing a pastel gray ford in the past. This wasn't my plan for the stang, but if it's that rare, I have to consider it. All the pics that I've seen on the net makes it look almost white, but descriptions list it as almost a gray /blue. Decisions, decisions.

I would order the top of the line Marti. Pastel grey with red guts and a 3 speed and manual brakes sounds like a rare combo. I mean, there were only about 2000 GT fastbacks to start with, this could easily be a 1 of 1 car.

Actually around 4000+ gt hardtops and 1200+gt droptops. I'll order the top of the line report for mine but I dont care if it is 1 of 1. Marti even says that his reports will show many uniqueness of all the elite reports. I just know I will be keeping my GT and taking it to car meets. 1of1 marti reports can show a car is valuble or it can just suggest that only 1 person wanted such options lol. The uniqueness of his car is the nice color/interior combo. I have seen many GT with 3speeds and manual brakes in these site(including mine) so thats not too unusual. I think only reason to buy the eliete report is if you are going to meets with the car. But I kinda like the delux report b/c it is not too much more and provides a little more info about uniqueness of options. I think it is worth the upgrade for you and your car. I will buy the elite report when my car is more complete (paint, drivetrain and ect). I would definately revert the car to original colors.