Sign in to follow this  
WolverineinVA

New Carpet

Newbie here...My son and I are storing a 69 Mustang Fastback. We are replacing the carpet. I see a kit from CJPony that states the carpet features jute backing. My question is should I still use an underlayment to increase the noise reduction or is this a waste of time and money?

Yes, the underlayment was supplied originally and will help the carpet fit better. It also provides noise reduction and can be a mositure barrier. Lots of different materials out there that the underlayment is made from. Original was heavy asphalt backed fibre pad but most are long discarded.

My upholstery guy told me about this stuff. The rat rod guys use it in their cars. You get it any home improvement store. It is Reflectix insulation.

Get a can of 3M adhesive to hold down. Put a double layer on floor.

Rolls are 24" x 25' or 16" x 25'. Less than $20 per roll.

Check it out at

http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?Page=Double+Reflective+Insulation&pageIndex=622

My 70 came with two thick heavy butyl mats under the carpet. One that went over the trans tunnel and front floors and the other that covered the rear hump and floors. This is heavy stuff and probably does a lot to reduce road noise and resonation. I believe these to be OEM.

My upholstery guy told me about this stuff. The rat rod guys use it in their cars. You get it any home improvement store. It is Reflectix insulation.

Get a can of 3M adhesive to hold down. Put a double layer on floor.

Rolls are 24" x 25' or 16" x 25'. Less than $20 per roll.

Check it out at

http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?Page=Double+Reflective+Insulation&pageIndex=622

i just put one layer under my new carpet.... but i also had the lizard skin products sprayed when the body guy had my car... so should be a solid thud when all is said and done....

I bought all the original type of heavy asphalt type underlayment and all the felt type insulation that was in the car originally. But before I put any of that back I used a product called Peel & Seal. This stuff is just like dynamat only much cheaper and you get a lot more. We used it everywhere except under the headliner where I used the original type of insulation. I can actually talk on the cell running down the highway, the results were fantastic, also no more heat from the headers and exhaust system. Heres a link to their website. Lowes or Menards runs this stuff on sale quite often. I ordered mine from a HWI Do-It center where my son works. http://www.mfmbp.com/purchase/store/tabid/81/ProdID/2/CatID/1/Peel_and_Seal.aspx