Sign in to follow this  
Chelby-Ann

Gauges

I was looking at new gauges today. One thing I noticed was that there were two choices. Mechanical and Electrical. Not sure what the differance is besides price. I plan on analog gauges that consist of fuel level; oil pressure; water temp; volts; speedo and tach. Summit offers Auto-Meter Pro comp ultra lite gauges I am looking at along with the 69-70 bezel insert that Year One offers. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thank you

As far as the gauge goes they are basically the same. However, the electric units get their signal from an electrical sending unit on the engine or transmission via a wired connection. That would be temp, oil, and fuel. Now, the mechanical has a tube that runs from the engine/transmission to the gauge providing a direct link to the back of the gauge say for oil and water. The mechanical water temp gauge has a tube that is integral with the gauge and cannot be shortened or cut. The electric units are way more expensive than the mechanical units. But then, it is usually easier to run a wire than a tube into the car. Also, with a mechanical oil pressure gauge, the nylon tubing is subject to damage and leaking due to chaffing. You can use a copper tube however. That's usually why I choose electrical over mechanical for all applications even though they are more expensive. Leaks don't spray all over the back of your dash and onto your floor. Bruce