Sign in to follow this  
69_Mustang

69 Mustang 351w oil pan upgrade and components

Mine is leaking, a lot, and I'm looking to upgrade since I need a new pan and all.

I was looking at the Scott Stake aluminum T oil pan that holds 7 qts. While I'm there is there anything else you all recommend? Along with it I'll get the 351w bolt kit and ford racing rubber gasket.

Does Scott Stake offer any baffles for their pans? Should I upgrade the oil pump too?

Basically, if I'm there, what is all I should upgrade?

I also have little leaks on the head covers, previous owner used cork. Anyone recommend a certain gasket?

Any other advice on parts as far as the oil system goes?

Adam

Ended up going with the SD 7 qt aluminum T pan, ford racing rubber gasket, FORD RACING' SLANT EDGE VALVE COVER in BLACK CRINKLE, ford racing valve cover gasket, ford racing valve cover breather and black ford valve cover bolts.

How many miles on your engine? And how was your oil pressure? If you were happy with your pressure I would not change a thing. If you have a high mileage motor or lower than normal pressure now is the time to install a high volume pump. As far as the windage tray goes, I think all of the small blocks attach to the main bolts. I don't think they have a pan sized tray like the FE's do. So that means you will need to be changing out main bearing bolts and I don't think the few extra free HP is worth that much effort.

The one thing you really should do while the pan is off, is to upgrade the oil pump drive shaft. The stockers have a bad habit of wanting to "barber pole" on you. Post up some pics when you get everything bolted on. Bruce

I have heard of many fitment issues with the Tpans, ranging from warped pans to tight clearances to bolt heads (can't get a socket on the bolts), to sealing issues with the ends. Not to mention any kind of impact will crack an aluminum pan (not specific to just Cobra T pans), whereas a steel one will just dent. I've also heard the exterior will also stain from the natural porosity of aluminum, from oil seeping through. I'm not sure if they are sealing them now or not. Just a few thoughts to consider.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/garage/420131-cobra-t-aluminum-oil-pan-main-griddle.html

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1206905845/Cobra+Aluminum+oil+pan