Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

Finally, a great day at the races!

Ditching the fan clutch solved the water pump vibration problem. I was able to get all 4 runs in today. No DNFs, all 4 runs counted. The first run was 56.2, the 2nd run dropped to 54.5, the 3rd run was my best time of the day at 52.9. I tried too hard on the last run and my time was 54.7. I finished 11th in my class of around 25. Considering this was really my first full day racing, I'm ecstatic with my improvement.

For context, the fastest TOD was around 42.9 in a turbocharged Lotus with a very experienced driver. I consider anything below 50 to be "fast". The fastest time for a Mustang was 46.5, although it was a late model (08?) 5.0 with Hoosier racing slicks.

I made some new friends (all the Mustang guys tend to hang out together) and met up with an old friend I haven't seen in a while. A perfect day to end the season. I'll be much better prepared for next year. Now my car will go back to DD duty until the snow comes.

Was the clutch fan out of balance? Glad you solved the issue but I'm amazed just that was enough to make it leak often, you would think at speed it wouldn't even be engaged most of the time.

Was the clutch fan out of balance? Glad you solved the issue but I'm amazed just that was enough to make it leak often, you would think at speed it wouldn't even be engaged most of the time.

Either the fan itself, the fan clutch or the combination of the two was out of balance. It only happened with sustained high RPMs. I drove literally thousands of miles with no problem on the street. I just wasn't making the connection of the loose bolts being caused by vibration.

A pic without me in it is probably better for photoshopping:

Yeah, uhm, not for the potentially evil fun photshopping I like to do, I chose the previous pic precisely because you were in it so word to the wise, watch your arse mister!:gunsmilie: (J/K) (sorta)

LOL, I'm not saying I am or will, I just like to leave the option open and have it in my ammo box should the need ever arise. I'll have to dig thru some ones I've done of members in the past though, that could make for a fun thread for some of us. I've even been the victim of a couple of good ones.

Awesome Larry! Congrats! There's a local Auto X about 20 min from me that meets once a month, think I'm going to check it out next time (especially since I missed the whole season of road racing). I'm itching to do some type of event! Jealous - lol.