Sign in to follow this  
jeepcj7304

vinyl top to hardtop conversion

The previous owner of my project already started this conversion. He filled the holed at the base of the rear window where the wide black trim went and removed the vinyl. I know I need to fill the bolt holes from the rest of the wide black trim but is there any other holes that need to be made to mount the hardtop trim? If so where? My other thought is just smoothing the entire inner area around the rear glass with no trim.

I will post some pictures of what I am working with in a few minutes.

Edited by jeepcj7304
spelling error

Ok after looking at pretty much every coupe in the gallery it appears that they all have the thick black trim around the back window. Was this every coupe that had this then not just the vinyls? If so can I get rid of it and just make it smooth?

Here are the pictures.

The first one shows the holes in the bottom that have been filled "circled in blue".

The second shows the pins along the top edge.

The third and forth show the seam that would need to be smoothed and holes that would need filled.

Yes, all '69 coupes came with the thick black trim, vinyl or not. I don't think you can completely eliminate it and smooth over but I have seen folks smooth over the trim itself and even paint it body color or some other contrast like argent. The '70 coupe has a thin chrome trim instead, I'm not sure if they are interchangable but i don't see why it's not possible if that is more your taste. Here's a look at a '70 ready and prepped for the trim si you can see the small channel left.

7452d1237994546-1970-mustang-coupe-restoration-progress-img_1504.jpg

Installed (with vinyl but same with or without).

Picture_0286.jpg

If the viyl roof trim came with your car and you aren't going to re-use you should sell it, they don't reproduce it and many folks looking to add or restore their vinyl are in search of it.