Sign in to follow this  
69_Mustang

69 Mustang Coupe Lexan Windows... and lightweight mods

Are you saying the 1/4 window delete will save 50-60 lbs by itself?

Bob

Sorry for the late response, been super busy with my business the past few months.

I am referring to the entire mechanism, including the glass. I had received word from Street or Track that in their 66 Stang, when they pulled out all the rear window mechanisms (they do seem to be very sturdy and heavy feeling) and glass, it was roughly 60 lb for them. It's of course a guess, being a slightly different body style, until I follow through with it and weigh it myself.

Lol! At least I got a good laugh out of it. No, I didn't laugh over the 60 lbs, but from the 6 months since I axed the question! No worries mate :)

Bob

You can curve lexan in your oven at home. The qtr windows are small enough to do but the door glass is large enough you will need a commercial oven or a friend with a pizza oven.

The cheap way to drop weight right now for the qtr windows is to remove the regulator, use the lower stop moved up to lock the window in the top position and also drill some holes in the plate the holds the tracks.

Did you drill holes in the front bumper brackets? Old trick but effective

I would not go to an aftermarket pin on trunk lid because then it's really not secure. Use a hole saw and take some weight out of the under structure and leave it at that. It's at the back of the car.

The pin on hood is workable

The fenders are not that heavy but the light buckets are. Can you get fiberglass ones or,perhaps use yours as molds and make your own.

I will advise against fiberglass doors. There is a lot of stress on them if you are opening and closing them plus they provide protection in an accident. Stick with the stock ones and you can lighten them a little by carefully drilling some holes under where the door panels go.

How about the dash? That lower dash has some weight, you could drill holes along the bottom where nobody will see and drop some weight. You can also drill the upper part behind the dash pad.

Bob