Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang

Vintage Air A/C Compressor issues

Hey guys,

I am finshing up my install of the vintage air system on my 69. Everything went pretty smooth except for mounting the compressor on the aftermarket RHS head. It wasn't to difficult just had to drill out one hole a good bit larger so that a bigger bolt could be used to match the hole in the head. I had to slightly slot the very bottom hole on the mount also to get a bolt in it but the compressor is on there now and it looks great. My only concern is that height of the compressor. It looks like it is going to hit or come very close to hitting the hood.

Has anyone else had this issue? I know a couple of the guys on here have vintage air so I thought it would be a good idea to ask before I start modifying my bracket.

Engine is a 351w, factory replacement engine mounts.

The packaging the compressor mounting bracket came in was labled 289-351w but said nothing about what car the mount was for so I am assuming vintage air uses that mount for all cars with those engines.

I will try to post pictures tomorrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew

Yeah, a pic of the installed unit would be helpful. I'm sure it will clear just fine. Have you ever sen these size of those York compressors? Boy, those things are hugh!!! And if they clear I'm sure yours will. Bruce

Drew,

I had concerns about mine too so I lowered it by about an inch. the I had it powder coated. you said you put it on the RHS (right side?) my altn is on the right and compr is on the left, I have pictures if you like.

Etel64 I would greatly appreciate some pictures. My compressor is mounted on the drivers side and the alt is on the passenger. Rhs(racing head service) is the brand name of my aluminum heads sorry for the confusion. Do you think your hood would have closed without lowering the mount?

Thanks,

Drew

The OP should post some pics for everyones benefit. I'm using the Alan Grove 105L and it sits high but does clear. Seeing other options would be helpful, something that mount lower would look better. That 351C is sweet, I wonder if they make one like that for the 351W???

2012-06-30_07-46-33_637.jpg

2012-06-30_07-46-17_369.jpg

Edited by chillininnh

I've still got a ton of work to do and the engine bay is no where near finished. Thought I would throw some more progress pics in there also. Sure was hoping I would have it finished before cruising the coast next weekend but she won't be making the trip with us.

Here you are. You can see the lower holes would have placed the compressor way too high. I didnt want to take any chances and when I saw how high it orignally mounted, it just looked way too high. The lower third center hole would not mount so I used a short bolt with a jam nut to support the bottom. Hope this helps

That adjustment setup looks to be what is adding all the elevation. I never liked using the compressor as the tensioner point. I have a York to Sanden conversion bracket which would sit flat atop the factory cast bracket. I suppose you would have to engineer an idler in there somewhere. If you are interested I'd sell it for $30 + shipping

That adjustment setup looks to be what is adding all the elevation. I never liked using the compressor as the tensioner point. I have a York to Sanden conversion bracket which would sit flat atop the factory cast bracket. I suppose you would have to engineer an idler in there somewhere. If you are interested I'd sell it for $30 + shipping

I appreciate it mike but I'm not sure if that bracket for a Cleveland will fit my Windsor. I don't have a factory bracket either because car didn't come with a/c. I think I am going to try to make what I have work.

Thanks though,

Drew