Sign in to follow this  
Jimjific

Spoiler/Wing Delete Plugs

So as some of you know, I’m not a rear spoiler/wing fan. I took mine off as soon as I got the car home. Someday, I will fill the holes and repaint the lid but until then, I got the idea after putting up some paneling with wall rivets that they were the perfect shape for filling the hole. I didn’t want to use plastic so I decided to go to the lathe and make some. I ended up using the scrap from my original front struts that was left over from the ones I made (see other post for those). They were pretty simple to make and I think that they came out pretty well. Plus I just got a new quick change tool post and wanted to try it out. It made a world of difference.

Here is a drawing of the part I plan to make.

DWG_Plug_Spoiler.sized.jpg

Facing and cutting through the old crud on the strut piece.

100_1268.sized.jpg

Center drilling the faced end to get the center.

100_1269.sized.jpg

Drilling out to so I can tap it for a 10-32 screw.

100_1270.sized.jpg

Hand turning the headstock to tap the drilled bore. Doing it this way makes taping very easy and straight.

100_1271.sized.jpg

Cutting down the shaft to .250â€.

100_1272.sized.jpg

Finish cut on the shaft.

100_1273.sized.jpg

Cutting off the part. I couldn’t do this with the old tool post holder.

100_1275.sized.jpg

Flipping the cut off part around to cut the head diameter and put a taper on.

100_1276.sized.jpg

Finished parts.

100_1277.sized.jpg

Primed and painted semi-flat.

100_1281.sized.jpg

Using the laser cutter to cut out adhesive backed rubber disks so that I won’t have metal to metal and it will seal the hole.

100_1284.sized.jpg

Cap with rubber disk installed.

100_1282.sized.jpg

Installed. They almost look like they are supposed to be there.

100_1287.sized.jpg

Well it certainly looks better than holes but was the spoiler really that repulisive to you that this was better? I think the plugs them self look great but it seems like something is missing like an odd luggage rack or something. If it were me I'd leave the spoiler until the day came to repair or replace the lid.

The plugs are good looking and do look like that is the way they would have been made if Ford had done it.

I am jealous at the tools suite you have available to make stuff like that -- would be nice to think of something and too turn around and have the right equipment to do it. Great job.

On a side note -- is the old spoiler laying around your shop gathering dust? I like and mine has seen better days.

MustangGt,

Yes, the spoiler is sitting in my shop in a box. I tried to sell it once but it fell through. I'd love to get rid of it. Although it goes against my "Don't put a wing on anything that's not a plane" mentality.

Pak,

Yes, I dislike them that much. Fastbacks have such great lines on their own and to me, it just looks like a quick add-on. This is just my opinion.

One of these days I'm going to get around to doing a flow analysis of a fastback to show that the wing helps handling at the speeds we drive is just a myth. Just need to fing the time...

Jim