Sign in to follow this  
Phils69

Dyno pointers

I am heading to the dyno for the first time to see where my A/F ratio is and if the stock mechanical fuel pump can keep up with the combo. I am running a Carter pump but have lost the info on it since the original build 6 years ago. Can you guys give me some pointers on dos and donts for my first time dyno runs? I'm not looking for an all out #'s run just want to make sure the a/f ratio is safe before the maiden drag strip run next month. I've got my rev limiter set at 5500 right now, should I leave it there or raise it? Built for a weekend driver. Combo below.

Car: 69 Mustang 3200 lbs

408w at 10.3:1. Cast crank, forged rods and pistons

AFR 205 renegades 58cc

FTI cam .598 intake .587 exhaust duration 230 and 242 @ 111 deg

Weiand stealth intake. Plenum cut down for cross flow and ported

Holley 750dp

C4 tranny with 2800 stall

9" rear with 3.25

28" tire

Long tube headers 2.5" exhaust

A few quick thoughts- your combo isn't entirely balanced. The 205s scream up top, like to 6600 or so, but you're chopping it at 5500. Also that's a lot of head and then a small cam. You've got great compression ratio. And 3.25 is not enough gear especially with an auto and a huge 28" rear tire. Carb is dead on.

I bet whatever you run at the track could be bettered by another second with more rpm, gear, and cam.

Lastly, for strictly AFR insight, I'd suggest getting an AFR wide band O2 with handheld or gauge for the same money or less than dyno session. And you'd have it forever. I use an LM-1 Innovate and bounce it between cars for tuning.

I'm thinking about opening up the rev limiter for the session. The valve train is built for rpm with Scorpian rockers and morel link bar lifters. Man you think the .6 lift is a small cam? I know the gear is low but with no OD I'm sticking with it. Just a weekend toy not a drag car setup so I'm hitting the strip to just have some fun on a test and tune day. Thanks for the reply

Wow, can't beat $50! I guess I focused on your 230* duration. I run a single plane and 248* /248* at around .580 lift and it isn't bonkers. Roller cams let you get away with more cam than the old days. The stealth is a great intake, supposedly beating single planes everywhere until 5500. Let us know what you pull on the dyno. One last tip, get a driveshaft loop, especially if you still have the stock shaft and joints!

As a data point, my 408W made 530 at the flywheel and runs 117MPH trap speed. My 11.9 ET is terrible due to the roadrace setup and driver.

I had the 408 built about 6 years ago but just upgraded the cam and heads recently. I had a new driveshaft made and installed with new u joints. I had bought a loop then also but never put it on. Haven't seen it in years. I'll jack it up and double check that everything is tight bore I go. Don't know if I can get a loop here in time. Sure hop I don't have to work on Saturday so I can get this done. I'd like to go to a .355 gear rear but will have to run it thru a calculator to see the rpm difference at cruising.

With the short duration cam I bet it's all in by 5500, but for the dyno session I'd want to know for sure. It can't hurt to bump it up to 6K.

I have the 205s with a relatively mild XE282 roller cam (232/240 @ .050) and it pulls like stink. The 185s may have made a tad more mid range power, but I already have more torque than my tires can take so there's no need. I have an even smaller cam I'm considering putting back in for autocrossing as spinning the tires is just wasting time.

I thought the 275/60's I just put on would make the car stick pretty good on the street. That torque will just break em loose too easy in first. I was playing over the weekend and once the initial shift to second settled down it would grip and pull like hell. I agree a lower hp car set up right would beat me out of the hole every time with fighting the wheel spin. I'd like to try the caltracs to see if would help with the launch bite. Anything over 3/4 throttle in first is waiting time right now and I have not learned the sweet spot yet to ride that line. I've heard the track will definetly have a better grip. Kind of scared about really hooking it the first time and finding parts on the ground though. Can't wait

Don't think I'll make it to the dyno today as its raining like crazy here this am. Maybe it'll clear up later but there is a 70% chance. I got some great gas milage Thursday night. Had to get a tow from work as my steed's starter decided it had enough on my first trip there. I had the later style small starter and the guy had a time looking up a car to match. He got the P/N from a 95 Mustang with a 351? I did not know there was such a thing. You guys ever heard of a 351 in a stang in 95? I googled and found the 95 Saleen came with one but I can't see that Ford did. Anywho, I got a Bosch reman from Napa and she is good to go again.

Yes, the '95 R model Mustang came with the 351 and a lot of unique parts as you can imagine... very rare. But any 89-93 5.0 starter would have worked as long as you have the late style flywheel. I'm not sure exactly what year the smaller permanent magnet high torque starter was first used, could have been as early as '87. The manual flywheel changed when they changed the imbalance on the 5.0 around '81 or '82. Prior to that the placement of the ring gear on the flywheel was closer to the engine block than it was on the automatic flex plate which required a specific manual starter.

Yea I thought the mini looking starter began when the 5.0 started in 87 but his pics looked like the old style. Probaly just loaded wrong pic in their system. It works so I'm a happy camper at the moment other than the friggin rain is making me ditch the dyno trip.