Sign in to follow this  
JoeyS

Leaf springs and ride height

I would like to replace my original leaf springs on my 1970 convertible for a slightly lowered look and improved handling. It's a 302 with AC.

Eaton springs have a stock replacement and also 1" and 2" drop. I think the stock replacements would sit higher then it does now because of the settling and wear over the years.

Would 1" lowering springs sit higher then it does now? Are 2" drop springs too much and cause it to sit too low?

A recommendation I once had was for a four and a half leaf mid eye spring, but the Eatons don't say if they are reverse or mid eye springs, just stock, 1" or 2" drop.

Any other advice or recommendation would be appreciated. I've included a photo to show how it currently sits.

Why not consider blocks? I know those that thrash their cars avoid them as the cast ones tend to crack. Also they add an arm to the rear axle that under extreme load creates a greater torsional moment than stock. For those of us that adult drive our cars, 1" or even 2" extruded aluminum or steel blocks are a much cheaper proposition.

Lowering blocks would give the desired lower ride height but I also am hoping for an improvement in handling. I get a feeling of body lean from the rear when driving. Also I have slightly more settling on the left drivers side of the car, not much but I would like to get it all leveled out.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I know your looking for better handling so a switch is going to happen but I have to say the way your car sits now looks amazing. I've never been a big fan of this lowering muscle cars to the ground fad. Just my opinion of course.

Joey I have to agree with Thunderscrash, I also am not a fan of lowering cars & I too think the ride heigt of your car is fine the way it is, but I also like the 70's/80's look of raised rear with very wide tires sticking out.:thumbup1: