Sign in to follow this  
Klutch

Shooting Primer: Inside or Outside?

My car is currently a bare metal rolling chassis. I'd like to shoot on a coat of primer before I take it to the frame shop next week to get the rear frame rail adjusted. (It's off by 5/8".)

I have SPI epoxy primer. My 2-car garage has a lot of tools and cabinets in it. Should I cover everything in the garage with plastic, lay a drop cloth under the car and shoot the primer inside the garage? Or, would it be OK to just roll the car out onto the driveway with a drop cloth underneath and shoot the primer outside?

Thanks!

Not a problem, It all comes down to what chances you feel you can take. You can minimuze them but you cant eliminate them.

A bird, trees, bugs & rain all can cause issues. Even a neighbor who decides to mow there lawn is a issue. Its happened to me.

Atleast the primer can be sanded if you end up with a issue.

When Ive sprayed inside garages & Ive had dust to deal with as well. Nothings perfect.

That said some say spray inside only others like myself do either.

Not to be a tree hugger, which I'm definitely NOT, but depending on your local and state ordinances there could be heavy fines involved if you are spraying organic compounds into the air. I know here in California if you get caught doing that a person can face heavy fines. You can only paint inside of a filtered booth. I know, darn EPA and CARB (California Air Resources Board). I don't know how things are in your part of Colorado. I would just hate to see you paining outside in the free air and have some nut case working for the government drive by and see you doing it. Or even worse one of your neighbors snitching you off. Boy oh boy, what has this country come to???? Bruce

Thanks for the warning, Bruce. Like California, Colorado has many "Tree Hugger" laws. But they tend to vary county to county. (In Boulder, I doubt you can paint anything anywhere.)

I'll be sure to check into my local codes.

Why not make a temporary booth in your shed? Have a look on youtube and other places on the interwebs, I've found a few in the past who just use a basic timber frame lined with plastic, filtered airflow in/out and you can disassemble it for next time.

Nothing is a perfect system, unless you hire a proper paint booth to use at a paint shop. But at least you'll keep the neighbours, the law and everything inside your shed happy.

Why not make a temporary booth in your shed? Have a look on youtube and other places on the interwebs, I've found a few in the past who just use a basic timber frame lined with plastic, filtered airflow in/out and you can disassemble it for next time.

Nothing is a perfect system, unless you hire a proper paint booth to use at a paint shop. But at least you'll keep the neighbours, the law and everything inside your shed happy.

Do you think a temporary booth is necessary for priming?

Will this be a one off time or will there be more spray days down the road? If it's only a one off, then maybe not. But if you'll be dong more priming, spraying 2k fill, then maybe BC/CC, it may be well come very useful.

The few that I had seen done in the US were done for a few hundred dollars but those guys went from bare metal all the way through to clear coat. So it was definitely worth their time and money to make one.