Sign in to follow this  
specialfinds

speedo all over the place

Finally got car going after complete resto,but find my speedo bouncing up and down instead of smooth up and down as i speed up or slow down.I can still tell how fast i'm going if i'm doing fifty it won't bounce higher just doesn't want to stay still and it's not from bouncing around our bad roads.THANKS

Just to edit,it is a complete new speedo cable.

Edited by specialfinds

Cable is in a bind, bent or needs lubricated. I would pull the cable & check for damage & check to see that the cable is not kinked when installed. Powdered graphite works well to lube.

I agree, the cable is binding. Unfortunately, you will need to disconnect it behind the speedometer to get the cable out to clean it up and lubricate it. almost all cable assemblies use a light weight wet grease to provide lubrication. So, if you want to use dry graphite you will need to clean the grease out of the housing. I would use a light weight white lithium or poly graphite grease and reinstall the cable. There used to be a tool you could screw onto the transmission end of the cable assembly and using a grease gun push grease UP into the housing to lubricate it. But I haven't seen one on a store shelf in a long time. Hope that helps, Bruce