Sign in to follow this  
Doogie

Metal replacement sequence?

I am replacing both front frame rails,torque boxes, rad support, all front fender aprons and floors. I was wondering in what sequence I should replace the parts in order to keep things lined up?

I didn't do frame rails, but I replaced inner aprons and shock towers(bolted in the nice export brace to help with alignment), then radiator support, then I cut the floor and toeboards out, replaced the torque boxes, replace the toeboards, and finally a one piece floor.

When I'm replacing anything, I leave as much of the original panels as I can to help align the new panels. Everything seems to be going okay so far. I'm down to wheelhouses and quarters now. Have already replaced trunk panels, rear brace, tail light panel, and quarter corners. Plus a partial rear frame rail.

I'd think you would want to do something like the following (I'm not a body guy, but it seems to make sense).

Basically starting from the straightest portion of the car

frame rails & torque boxes - They are typically done together

floors - now that you have something to weld them to

all front fender aprons - are you replacing the shock towers too?

rad support

Brace everything so nothing moves while you're cutting out the original and do a little at a time .. not pulling everything off where the body starts to sag and then hope it comes back together.

I was thinking of using Dynacorn's 1 piece apron. It has all the frame rails and other parts in one, instead of doing a 3 piece side. It may be a bit more, but if I read the part right, everything is replaced in one piece, instead of trying to piece it together. Has anyone used these before?