Sign in to follow this  
j.fradsham

Steering Box adjustments

All, What steps can I take to try to tighten up my steering. Are there adjustments I can make to my steering box? I have a lot of play in the steering wheel before front tires move. I have a 1969 Fastback with power steering.

Adjustments are on top of gearbox under the brake master cylinder.I would goggle the procedure there are some good write ups Don't over tighten because it will cause problems as well.There will be some play even when done its not like our new ones which are pretty tight.You can do it

As stated there are adjustments- seeing that you're a noob- a second word of caution here- doing this adjustment can kill the steering box, or the mustang or you. Read the write ups, note: torque wrench required NOT the normal one- inch pounds not foot pounds- DO NOT GUESS or go by feel. I beleive a good write up is stanger site (at least I think it was there)

You firstly need to check whether the play is in the steering box itself or in the power steering control valve. There is very little stress on the steering box so most likely the play is in the control valve. With the engine running get someone in the car to swing the steering from left to right just enough to take up the slack. Watch the rag joint, pitman arm and control valve to see where the movement is.